Saturday, March 22, 2014

Lost and Found

Saturday of the Second Week of Lent

(Click Here for Readings)

Gospel of Luke 15:1-3, 11-32

‘My son, you are here with me always; everything I have is yours. But now we must celebrate and rejoice,
because your brother was dead and has come to life again;he was lost and has been found.’“


What have you lost?  We lose things from time to time:  car keys, a phone, an earring or even a pet.  We look long and hard for the object.  Sometimes it's no where to be found.  Other times the object reappears days or months later.  What happiness we feel when we do recover something lost!  Most likely the item was very important and special to us.  

Last year I lost an extra set of house keys.  I thought I dropped them while walking my dog.  Nearly a year later I found those keys thrown inside a plastic bag full of Halloween decorations!  This past week I once again lost something special to me:  my James Avery sterling silver wave ring.  I hope I do find it soon. I think it's odd this ring just vanished. I wear it nearly every day.....

In my imagination,  I think of a little child angel playing a heavenly game of "hide and go seek" with that ring.  Maybe she thought it was pretty and wanted to wear it for a while.  Of course, Saint Anthony won't be too pleased by the naughty behavior and hopefully return the ring back to me!  But if not, so be it.  I mean, it is the season of Lent the time of penitence and going without.  But why this ring I've owned for years?   I don't easily lose things, so when something disappears I wonder if it's a sign from God that I need to pay attention and look-out.  Something gone missing may indicate something new and better entering my life soon.

Jesus helps Whenever we've lost something, Jesus is there to help us find it. We may have lost a loved one, a job, a home, or our good health. Sadly, we may have even lost our faith.  Everyday burdens can turn our inner souls raw and resentful.  We brew over what is lacking in our lives.  Our mean dispositions have turned away friends.  Our addictions have made us lose intimate connections with family members.  Our selfishness has encouraged us to lose respect and dignity for others.  Through Christ, we can find what we've lost!  We can rejoice in finding a new life that is not centered around negativity, sadness, and anger.  

What have you found?  In today's gospel reading, the father celebrate's his son's return.  The son squandered all of his inheritance on a decadent lifestyle.  His father could have shamed him for good.  Yet, because he loved his son so much he warmly welcomed him back home.  In fact, he slaughtered a calf on his behalf and threw a celebration with feasting and dancing.  He was once lost but now found!

If your missing son or daughter came home after living an immoral life, would you welcome your child back home?  Would you throw a party like the father did in Jesus' parable?  Would you praise God for the safe return of your loved one?

I know whenever I've lost something and found it I tend to treasure it even more.   What have you found lately?  Have you discovered Christ's handiwork in your life?  Have you discovered something you lost may actually be of benefit?  (I think of when we lose a bad relationship.)  Have you found peace and love that used to never be there before?  

When we lose, we always gain in return. Keep searching and hoping.  If what is lost is meant to be found, Our Lord will make it happen!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment