Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Happy Feast Day, Saint Joseph!

Solemnity of Saint Joseph, Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary

(Click Here for Readings


Gospel of Matthew 1:16, 18-21, 24A


Now this is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about.When his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found with child through the Holy Spirit. Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man,yet unwilling to expose her to shame, decided to divorce her quietly.

Happy Feast Day! This is a very special day for my parish family.  Our church is blessed to be named after Saint Joseph. Every year, during the month of March, we honor Joseph with a specially-arranged shrine in the corner of the sanctuary. The shrine encompasses a beautiful statue of Joseph and baby Jesus along with flowers, candles, rosaries and other devotionals. Tonight we will celebrate mass as a community and then share a meal.  Our parish is very diverse, so we always have a wide selection of ethnic foods including yummy desserts! 

Saint Joseph in the background   Seems like Saint Joseph is more recognizable as patron saint of home sales than as guardian to Jesus and Mary.  He worked in the background supporting Mary and Jesus as a loving father, a faithful spouse, and a devoted servant of God. He could have decided to abandon his role.  He could have announced to God: 

 "Lord, I simply can't take the stress of supporting a sinless and holy family.  I'm only a poor old carpenter.  I don't amount to much.  I have these weird dreams that I don't quite understand.  Why didn't you choose another man to raise your Son?  I feel like I'm not good enough, not strong enough for such an important role. ...And my beautiful wife Mary, wow, she's perfection! She just radiates a glow.  How can I relate to her?  Jesus, he's such a brilliant child!  I teach him the ways of carpentry, but  he is destined to a new priesthood. A true Messiah! This is a tough job for me, Dear Lord. I just don't know if I can do it."

Saint Joseph is a HUGE role model for fathers all over the world. He didn't stray or abandon his family in difficult times. He never treated Mary and Jesus with disrespect or hostility.  Importantly, he protected his family in times of danger, faithfully obeying God's commandments through trials and tribulations; good times and bad times.  He followed the ways of God with incredible devotion.  He is certainly a Saint that we should pray to often.  He may not be fully divine but his righteousness, gentleness, kindness, and compassion is worth emulating!

St. Joseph, Pray for Us!

--


A Special Prayer to St. Joseph

Oh, St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in you all my interest and desires. Oh, St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession, and obtain for me from your divine Son all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. So that, having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers. Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you, and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him close in my name and kiss His fine head for me and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls - Pray for me.

Amen.

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment