Monday, March 24, 2014

God's Selection

Monday of the Third Week of Lent

(Click Here for Readings)

Gospel of Luke 4:24-30


Jesus said to the people in the synagogue at Nazareth:"Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place. Indeed, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel
in the days of Elijah when the sky was closed for three and a half years and a severe famine spread over the entire land. It was to none of these that Elijah was sent, but only to a widow in Zarephath in the land of Sidon......."

No prophet is accepted As we get closer to Easter, the gospel readings get deeper and heavier. When I first read this passage, I couldn't quite understand why the people in the synagogue became so furious with Jesus.  I can only assume they were offended by his words.  I mean, the idea of a prophet only ministering to one "chosen" individual seems foreign.  Weren't prophets supposed to help everyone in need?  And why this talk about a prophet not being accepted in his own native place?  Jesus speaks of himself as Prophet.  The synagogue officials, the Pharisees, the Scribes, and all others of the priestly cast refuse to accept Jesus as the true Messiah. They feel threatened by Jesus and don't want to be wronged.  Tensions are building, but Jesus is still able to escape arrest.

God's selection process I can't help but think of times when a horrific event like a car crash, a fire, or even a plane crash takes place. Some people die immediately whereas others survive unscathed.  The worst is when a drunk driver survives a crash but his victim dies.  That just seems so wrong!  The innocent dies but the offender lives.  What is the justice in this?  Why does God allow such things to happen?  It's all about God's selection process.  We know that the drunk driver, if convicted, will live the rest of his life with the mark of shame and guilt.  His life is ruined whereas his innocent victim will enjoy peace and tranquility with Jesus in heaven.  Yes, it may seem like a life was taken away too quickly.  However, this is what the Lord had planned all along.  

We must never take our lives for granted. We must always live each day to the fullest.  God may "select" us to cross the heavenly gates at any time.  Keep trekking along that narrow path to holiness.  Don't be sad when our loved ones die too soon.  I always think that those innocent lives who die prematurely will be hand selected as our guardian angels!  God has a special purpose for them that we may not be fully aware of in this lifetime.

I will always remember my junior high orchestra teacher.  She died from a staph infection in February 1986.  It was the first time in my life I experienced a tragic, unexpected death of someone I was very close to.  She was my favorite teacher and always so kind to me.  She often drove me home from school and gave me private tutoring lessons.  (I played the violin.)  She was a wonderful role model.  To this day, I think her spirit is still around as my guardian angel.  I remember her around Valentine's day every year, the anniversary of her death.  Mrs. C was just a beautiful, giving woman.  God rest her soul.

During these last few weeks of Lent, pray for the loved ones who have passed on.  Rest assured that they will be forever at peace.

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment