Sunday, May 11, 2014

Voice of a True Shepherd

Fourth Sunday of Easter
Good Shepherd Sunday

(Click Here for Readings)

Gospel of John 10:1-10

So Jesus said again, “Amen, amen, I say to you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved,and will come in and go out and find pasture...."



Happy Mother's Day!  What a great day today!  It started with my scheduled lector and communion ministry at the parish's 7:30 am Mass.  Our diocese's auxiliary bishop just happened to be the visiting celebrant!  He gave a special blessing to all of the mothers in the congregation. After mass, I came home, ate breakfast, and  I finished the excellent autobiography "Something Other Than God" by Jennifer Fulwiler.  (I will give a review in an upcoming post.)  Then my mom picked me up, and we drove over to my grandparents' house in East Texas for Mother's Day lunch with the family.  Perfect Spring weather!

I may not be a human mother, but I'm definitely a doggy mother!  My sister sent me a great Facebook picture featuring a paw print surrounded by fingers in the shape of a heart.  The caption said:  "My kids have paws!  Happy Mother's Day to all the pet moms out there!"  Love it!!  I always used to feel a tad bit depressed around Mother's Day since I've never given birth to a child.  After I adopted the best little dachshund in the world, I began to think of myself as a mommy, too.

Good Shepherd Sunday  How appropriate that Good Shepherd Sunday falls on Mother's Day this year.  Throughout the bible, God often called shepherds to do important work for the Lord.  Think of Abel, Moses, and David.  Each one of these important men were shepherds attending to sheep before they were "identified" by God to carry out important missions.  Abel was murdered by Cane out of extreme jealousy and hate, yet Abel remained humble.  Moses received the call to lead the Israelites out of Egypt through God's sign in the burning bush.  David, a young handsome shepherd in the field, was anointed by Samuel to become the first King of Israel.  All of these Old Testament "shepherds" foreshadowed the arrival of the one true shepherd - Jesus Christ.  

Jesus is the Good Shepherd who attends to the needs of his flock.  He blesses his followers with the waters of baptism which washes away the stain of original sin.  He blesses the faithful with his own blood and body through the nourishment of the Holy Eucharist.  The Good Shepherd even wipes away our tears, forgiving us of our sins whenever we go to confession.  Jesus is the heavenly gate.  All who believe, and enter, will be saved.  

Thieves and robbers will be at the entrance of the gate, attempting to coerce the sheep to follow their own wicked ways and paths.  They will present themselves as false shepherds.  They try to steal the faithful from the loving protection of Christ.  False shepherds lure the faithful with sensual pleasures through pride, vanity, and sensuality. These sinful ways do not fall in line with what God desires for his faithful.  

All of us will encounter a false shepherd in our lives.  Beware and do not follow!  The voice of the true shepherd - Jesus Christ - will always be much more powerful and everlasting!

Mothers as Good Shepherds  The gospel reading of Jesus as the Good Shepherd caring for his flock of sheep reminds me of mothers caring for their children.  Mothers are definitely "good shepherds" in many ways:

  • They said "Yes!" to life inside the womb in the first place!
  • They protect their children from harm.
  • They nourish their children with proper nutrition.
  • They educate their children, teaching them right from wrong.
  • They encourage creativity and exploration of their child's unique talents and gifts.
  • They care for their children when they are sick.
  • They love their children unconditionally.
This is only a sampling of the hundreds of ways mothers are good shepherds.  Thank God for the gift of motherhood!

Sweet & Blessed Virgin Mary, Pray for Us!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment