Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Follow Christ's Example

Tuesday of the Second Week of Lent

(Click Here For Readings)

Gospel of Matthew 23:1-12


Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying“The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you,  but do not follow their example.For they preach but they do not practice.....

Spiritual writer's block I'm finding my daily meditations more difficult to write.  I was on a roll for the last few months but now struggle with words.  I feel like I'm going through spiritual writer's block.  This is certainly not the time for my brain to think "Duh?  What should I talk about?" when we encounter such richness in the Lenten readings!  Seems like ever since Lent began, work and personal life has entered insanely busy mode.  (I always think Satan likes to throw "busy" in our laps so we stray from the Lord...)  I have so much on my mind with a list of "To Do's" a mile long.   I'm frustrated with myself because I'm not spending as much time with the Lord like I should be.  Discipline is something I'm normally very good at, so I'm not quite sure what's going on with me.  Maybe I'm trying to do too much at once?  Maybe I'm allowing things that aren't all that important take over my prayer time?  Maybe I'm absorbing myself in too much entertainment like television and movies?  What happened to my Lenten "resolution" to focus more on Christ, his passion and resurrection?  

Arrogance, Yuck! Have you ever known a really arrogant person?  I remember years ago, working as a paint chemist, I occasionally interacted with with an engineer in the plant.  I couldn't stand the man.  He talked down to me.  His ego was as big as a whale.  He'd never stop talking about himself.  On top of this, he was extremely unfriendly because he knew I wasn't as educated as himself.  Believe it or not, the jerk ended up moving up within the company.  He was terrific at "kissing up" which awarded him a high ranking position. (Gotta love Corporate America with its "good ol' boy" mentality.)  I thought the guy was full of cow dung!  He made me angry every time I even looked at his face.  (Trust me, this was not out of jealousy.  I could care less about his credentials.  I just thought the guy was rude and cocky.)

 Unfortunately many people of the prideful/arrogant state don't see anything wrong with their behavior.  They think everybody else is the problem.  Since they are so in love with themselves how could they possible love anybody else, especially Jesus Christ?  

Stop the supreme attitude We should get out of our selfishness and help others!  Stop looking down on others as smelly trash!  Dignify and respect.   Stop thinking we are supreme over everybody else.  Only God is the Supreme being on earth!  

Give a hand to someone else but don't gloat about it.  Help someone in need but don't later gossip about the "pathetic" person rescued.  Don't think of oneself as a "Master" and everybody else as a servants because they aren't as successful, wealthy, gifted, or educated.  

Above all, follow Christ's example.  Practice the art of humility and love.  All of the honors and prestige earned on earth won't mean jack diddly when it's time for the final judgment.  God will examine our intentions and actions within our hearts.  Did we make a strong effort to treat others with compassion?  Did we make a decision to live a humble and simple life? 

Lent is a time of purification, renewal, and change.  These forty days let us continuously cleanse our hearts so we can let go of pride and arrogance.  Turn those vices into virtues.  Be humble and love!  
-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment