Thursday, March 6, 2014

Choose Life with the Cross

Thursday After Ash Wednesday

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Luke 9:22-25


"If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.  For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever lose his life for my sake will save it.  What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit it himself?"

Ashes overnight I slept last night with ashes still on my forehead. Normally I wash them off immediately after I get home from Ash Wednesday service. This morning I was surprised to see the neatly printed ash cross un-smudged. I thought I'd wake up with ashes all over my hair and my face.  I think of this as a sign that God is with me and in me. He's present in every aspect of my life no matter if I'm experiencing fruitful times or disparaging times.  During this Season of Lent, he is calling me to take up my daily cross and follow him.  Lose my own life for the sake of his.  Choose life surrounded by God's eternal love and infinite mercy.


Ashes in the mirror While getting dressed I stared at those ashes in the bathroom mirror. I wondered to myself, "What if Jesus suddenly appeared in the mirror staring right back at me with a smile?  What would I say to him?"  

Jesus, it's so wonderful to see you!  I can't believe you've come to visit me.  I'm sorry I do not look as presentable as I would at Mass.  But, you caught me at an unexpected time.  See, I still have the ashes on my forehead from last night.  I never removed them.  I thought they'd bring me closer to you as I slumbered.  Obviously it did because you're here with me.........I'm a little tongue tied right now, Dear Lord.  I don't know what to say.  I guess I should thank-you first of all.  Thank-you for all of the blessings you've given to me! Thank-you for my job, my family, my friends, and for your Church.  For Lent, I really want to courageously take up my daily crosses for your sake.  Humbly follow your Word and deeds.  I know, it's so difficult!  I've messed up so many times.  These ashes definitely prove that I'm a sinner! I pray that you will lead me and guide me to a change of heart and attitude.  These burdens I carry around every day are no picnic!  In fact, I sometimes labor in pain from just the weight and the stress.  However, I know these crosses bring me closer to you.  By managing my crosses in ways that mimic your heavenly will, I just may bring others to love you as much as I do.....I do need to get dressed and head off to work.  I hope we will be able to talk again soon.  I love you very much.  I look forward to spending time with you in Adoration soon.  

Let us not lose ourselves in egoism and selfishness but lose ourselves in God's love!

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment