Monday, March 17, 2014

Four-Leaf Clover of Faith, Hope, Love, & Charity

Monday of the Second Week in Lent
Saint Patrick's Day

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Luke 6:36-38



Jesus said to his disciples:“Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Give and gifts will be given to you;a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap. For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.”



Happy Saint Patrick's Day!  Did you remember to wear green today?  I have hazel eyes which stay green most of the time, so to avoid a pinch for not wearing the trademark St. Paddy's day color I just say to someone:  "Look into my eyes! See the green around my irises?!  No pinching allowed!"    


The Irish love to celebrate the Feast of Saint Patrick with pub crawls, parades and festivities made up of drinking green beer, eating pub "grub" and singing traditional songs.  One thing great about celebrating St. Patrick's Day is knowing that Spring is just around the corner!  After this very cold winter, I'm ready for warmth and sunshine.  I'm ready to see tiny clover sprouting in my backyard.

Lucky Giving  In today's gospel reading, Jesus says to the disciples: 


Give and gifts will be given to you....for the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you. 


Aren't we supposed to give to others without expecting anything in return?  In many respects, we engage in what I refer to as lucky giving when we do receive unexpected acknowledgement.  It's as if we find a four leaf clover in a bed of three-leaf clovers. The four leaf clover consists of faith, hope, love, and charity.  All of our good deeds and virtuous living are recognized by not only others but God himself.   When we give of our time, talents and treasure with humility and sincerity, we will reap many eternal rewards. 

 I know whenever I give of myself unconditionally I feel happiness and satisfaction.  However, I have to stop myself from mumbling and grumbling.  Sometimes I think, "Gosh I really don't feel like doing much for others today.   I just don't want to be around annoying people!" 

How easy to start making excuses as to why we can't give, forgive, or stop passing judgments.  Remember the Devil loves to use laziness as a tool to keep the lure of selfishness strong.  He doesn't want us to show mercy toward others.  He'd be dancing the happy devil dance if he knew people were fighting, condemning, and ensuing hate for  one another.  Let us display our "four-leaf clover" penetrated deep inside our hearts.  Show Satan that we have faith in God. We love others. We hope for a better world. We see charity as an important part of being a Christian.

Cheers!  Have a pint of green brew in honor of Saint Patrick!  Remember to show mercy, forgive, give, and stop judging and condemning.  Our Lord will bless you abundantly for your good works!

Saint Patrick, Pray for Us!

-J.







  

No comments:

Post a Comment