Sunday, December 22, 2013

Biblical Broadway

Fourth Sunday of Advent

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Matthew 1:18-24


"Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home.  For it is through the Holy Spirit that this child has been conceived in her.  She will bear a son and you are to name him Jesus, because he will save their people from their sins."


God is with us. I woke up early yesterday morning with a stuffy nose, pounding headache, and tickle in my throat. (Nose isn't much better as I type this meditation!) I suspect I've contracted the infamous "Christmas cold."  All of these questions run through my head:  Do I make it to that Christmas get-together attended by a person I rather avoid?  Do I give a gift to someone who I assume won't appreciate it?  Which Christmas mass will I go to so I can avoid large crowds (and screaming kids)?  Will the present I sent via wagon-wheel caravan (post office) ever make it to my friend? Yikes!  I know - too many questions!  Time to slow down my brain's circuitry and remember something very important:  God is with us.  In times of sickness and health, life and death, tragedy and blessing,  The Lord our Savior is right beside us.  A simple prayer for making good decisions is something we should do first before allowing worry to wear us down...and even make us sick!  This is still a season of rejoicing despite how we may feel.


Biblical Broadway As I meditate over the scripture readings this Advent, I feel like I've sat in the audience of a major theatrical production on Biblical Broadway.  (A theatrical production with a four week showing but always available for re-run when the time is appropriate!) We have a cast of Tony-award winning "actors":  Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth, and Zechariah.  This cast has been superbly directed by not only the Angel Gabriel but God himself!  Also, special acclaim must be given to the gifted playwrights Isaiah, Matthew, and Luke.  No, this theatrical production isn't anything like "Jesus Christ Superstar" with rockin' 70s lyrics and religious controversy.  This carefully-crafted play details the important events leading up to the birth of Jesus.  In a way the drama never ends.  We explore prophesies, angelic visitations, dreams, conjugal conceptions, "unplanned" pregnancies, and even temporary muteness.  Who ever said the bible was boring?! 

Living, Breathing Rosary  For me the rosary comes alive and breathes during this time, especially when we re-visit the mysteries of the Annunciation and the Visitation.  I feel as if Our Lady speaks to my heart intimately saying:  My dear Jennifer, peace be with you.  I thank-you for believing in my son and for all  the good inside your heart.  Despite your weaknesses, rest assured that Jesus loves you immeasurably.  You are a dear child to me, too, and I'm here for you anytime you need advice and consolation.  Have a Blessed Christmas.  Please always remember Jesus and I, along with the heavenly angels, will protect you!"

-J.

1 comment:

  1. It's so true, this time of year it's really hard to be at peace! So much going on! But only one thing matters... Christmas isn't about family, gifts or gatherings, it's about the beginning of our salvation, and getting our hearts ready to be that manger where Jesus is born. Here's hoping that we can all put aside the stress to find peace :)

    ReplyDelete