Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Our Demons Within

Tuesday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Gospel of Matthew 9:32-38


A demoniac who could not speak was brought to Jesus, and when the demon was driven out the mute man spoke.  The crowds were amazed and said, "Nothing like this has ever been seen in Israel."  But the Pharisees said, "He drives out demons by the prince of demons."

All of us battle "demons" in one form or another.  I'm not speaking of demons in terms of a demoniac possessions like we read about in the bible.  I'm referring to our private demons consisting of fears, insecurities, bad habits, addictions, and ongoing pain and despair.  On the outside we smile at friends and family saying: Everything is fine!  Everything is okay!  I have everything under control!  However, on the inside we harbor wounded hearts, pierced souls, and confused minds!  Perhaps we are emotionally overwhelmed with the guilt associated with an abortion.  Maybe we feel trapped by the bottle, secretly trying to hide our alcohol dependency from others.  Perhaps we suffer from the shame of mental illness which causes us to engage in obsessive/compulsive behaviors.  Maybe the one demon we battle with the most is complete rejection of God.   

I know if it wasn't for my faith in Jesus Christ I would not be as resilient of a woman as I am today. Trust me, I've gone through a lot over the past 40+ years, and I've learned some very tough lessons.  I find it interesting how our insecurities, fears, and bad habits can reek unnecessary havoc.  If we only learned  to let go and let God handle everything, we'd be able to shoo away the "demons" for good.   Just like Jesus drove out the demoniac out of the mute man, Jesus drives out our own demons when we turn to him in prayer and petition.  

When weak, Christ makes us strong.  When wounded, Christ heals.  When we feel like the weight of the world is crashing down all around us, Christ relieves the burden. Finally, when we fear what the future holds, Christ eases our anxieties.  All we have to do is relinquish control and let God take over!

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment