Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Planting A Seed

Wednesday of the Third Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Mark 4:1-20



 “Hear this! A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Other seed fell on rocky ground where it had little soil.
It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep. And when the sun rose, it was scorched and it withered for lack of roots. Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it and it produced no grain.  And some seed fell on rich soil and produced fruit. It came up and grew and yielded thirty, sixty, and a hundredfold.” He added, “Whoever has ears to hear ought to hear.”

Fell to the ground  I experienced a scary incident at work yesterday.  In the warehouse, I tripped over a wooden pallet, smashing my head into a book shelf and slamming my shoulder onto the hard concrete floor.  I was down for a while, feeling light headed and seeing stars!  This morning I woke up with a huge bruise on my shoulder and a knot on the back of my head.  Thank God I didn't suffer a concussion or break a bone.  I am still very sore and probably will be for the next week.....

When I read this passage from scripture, I immediately thought: "Oh my gosh! I was a  human seed who fell onto rocky soil (i.e. hard concrete floor)!  I withered away in pain, scorched from the blunt force of a scary fall."  My guardian angel was there right beside me.  I came less than a foot away from crashing my head into a large metal supporting pole!  I felt like a fool for stumbling and falling in the first place.  Co-workers now tell me they've experienced similar tripping hazards.  Best I use caution when I venture into the warehouse in the future.

Where seeds fall   Foolishness or wisdom comes from how we handle the seeds of faith handed to us through the word of God. We become foolish when we "plant" a seed in the soil of power, over-consumption, wealth, and selfishness.  We become wise when we plant a seed in the soil of faith, hope, charity, and love.  With Christ as our focus, our seed of faith will eventually produce delectable fruit!  We don't have to worry about the fruit being spoiled or polluted by wordly riches and pursuits.  We know the fruit will be fresh and  healthy for us.

Let us plant a seed of faith in nourishing soil and allow it to grow!

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment