Thursday, December 19, 2013

Struck Speechless

Thursday of the Third Week of Advent

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Luke 1:5-25

Then Zechariah said to the angel "How shall I know this?  For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years."  And the angel said to him in reply, "I am Gabriel, who stand before God.  I was sent to speak to you and to announce to you this good news.  But now you will be speechless and unable to talk until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled at the proper time."

Struck Speechless   Zechariah refused to believe the angel's announcement that Elizabeth would soon conceive a son in old age.  Why the disbelief?  Was it out of fear?  Was he "surprised" speechless? Shouldn't a righteous priest believe everything an angel of the Lord declares?
  Zechariah patiently prayed for a child.  His prayer was answered.  Why even doubt such a miracle?  How frustrating for Zechariah, as a priest, to communicate voiceless.  I imagine he carried around a bulky stone tablet or scrolls writing words he wished he could proclaim loudly! Fortunately for Zechariah his inability to talk was only temporary. I think Zechariah's muteness helped "store up" special graces which later transpired into John the Baptist's amazing preaching ability.  

Have you ever been struck speechless by unexpected news?  Have you ever been so afraid that you couldn't utter a word?  Did you turn to the Lord for guidance and strength?

Use the tongue wisely. I recommend taking a "moment of silence" every now and then. Listen instead of speak.  Observe instead of comment.  Pray for someone instead of complain about them.  When we do speak, we should choose words that are respectful and loving.  Yes, I know - Better said than done! It's so easy for us to shout out that f-bomb  or call someone an ugly name.  Just like Zechariah, we could lose the gift of speech at any moment.  This is why it's important to use our tongues wisely.  We never know when we will me called to speak in defense of the Church and Christ's teachings.

"My mouth shall be filled with your praise and I will sing with glory!" (Responsorial Psalm)







No comments:

Post a Comment