Saturday, July 12, 2014

Nothing is Concealed Forever

Saturday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time


Gospel of Matthew 10:24-33

Nothing is concealed that will not be revealed, nor secret that will not be known. What I say to you in the darkness, speak in the light; what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops. And do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul....



The Baby Bump  Recently, I heard a shocking rumor around the office about one of my coworkers having an affair with a woman in another department, and they're now expecting a baby.  At first I didn't believe what I heard.  I happen to be good friends with this man and his wife.  At first I discounted it thinking: "He'd never do such a thing!"  But then when I saw the woman's growing baby bump, and their close interaction with one another, my heart sank.  Since I didn't want to make any assumptions, I decided to ask him in person if the rumors were true.  He confirmed everything saying how terribly guilty he felt.  However, his divorce was finalized, and he was looking forward to the birth of his new daughter....  A few days earlier, I happen to see his girlfriend walking in the lobby. I smiled, asked when she was due, and congratulated her on her pregnancy.  From that moment on she appeared to like me.  In fact, she told her boyfriend "how sweet" I was to her.  I can only imagine the guilt and embarrassment she felt with the unplanned pregnancy.  

We all make mistakes in life, and I certainly didn't want to condemn my friend and his girlfriend.  (I'm sure some other people may have not been as kind!) Everybody now knows the situation in the office.  Rumors have subsided.  What was concealed has now been revealed.... 

Something concealed and now revealed  When we try to conceal sinful actions from God, they will always be revealed.  Guaranteed!  People can break the law for years and years thinking they managed to slip by the police, but then they are suddenly caught red-handed.  Just like a concealed weapon, we may have a gun in our pant pocket, our purse, or even in our glove department never planning to use it.  However, one day a situation happens requiring self-defense.  The gun is exposed and the trigger fired.  Maybe we hurt or even killed someone in the process.  I can see why gun control legislation is such a controversial topic.  Living in a pro-gun state, I never know who may be walking next to me on the street or driving a car in my lane carrying a weapon of some sort.  If I tick that person off, a firearm may "reveal" itself right in my direction.  Scary! 

Turn whisper into a loud proclamation  Our Lord does not want us to go around whispering and keeping the Gospel Truth quiet.  It's meant to be proclaimed loudly and with great zeal.  

Our Internet age thrives on misinformation, rumors and inaccuracies.  People tend to believe more in myths than real honest truth. (Just think about the number of YouTube video hoaxes over the last few months!) As Catholic Christians, we must turn around the lies and reveal the hard honest truth even if it's uncomfortable and against social trends.  Our priority is to defend Catholic Church's teachings, not being afraid of ridicule or contempt.  Just as Jesus endured criticism, so will we.  As the old saying goes:  Stick and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me!  In fact those sticks, stones and words can never kill a soul united with Christ.  Enemies will try over and over again but will fail.  The soul is strong and resilient.  Even if we are martyred for taking a stand against evil, our soul will find eternal rest in the Kingdom of Heaven. Our Lord will reward us for a ministry well done.

Speak the truth in the light of Christ and never conceal what should be revealed!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment