Friday, November 1, 2013

When the Saints Go Marching In

Friday of the a Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time
Feast of All Saints

Gospel of Matthew 5:1-12a


Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven.            

On this Feast Day of All Saints, the classic hymn "When the Saints Go Marching In" sings-along in my head:

We are traveling in the footsteps 
Of those who've gone before 
But we'll all be reunited (but if we stand reunited) 
On a new and sunlit shore (then a new world is in store)......


Some say this world of trouble 
Is the only one we need 
But I'm waiting for that morning 
When the new world is revealed 


When people think of a Saint, Saint Francis of Assisi or Saint Jude spring to mind.  They instinctively think these "godly people" somehow were perfect in the eyes of God as well as the Church.  The Saints were far from perfect.  They sinned like all of us! They battled temptations, weaknesses, illness, and tragedy.  Yet, they persevered and sacrificed all of their humanity for the  love of Christ divine.

How can I be a saint? My weaknesses and inadequacy overwhelm!  I feel powerless to change my sinful ways.  I desire a great reward in heaven, but I just don't know how to get it!  What does it take to live a life deserving of sainthood?

The Saints can serve as wonderful role models for navigating through the waters of live.  My confirmation patroness Saint Mary Magdalene  keeps me well grounded in my Catholic faith.  I pray to her during those times of spiritual dryness when I'm tempted to take a break away from the Mass.  I become frustrated with my pastor or another parishioner.  I think to myself, "Maybe I should go visit the Episcopalian Church. Or better yet, become Protestant again!"  Amazingly enough I always turn my thinking around.  I contribute this to not only Mary Magdalene but the entourage of other Saints who seem to redirect me back on the narrow path.

Besides Mary Magdalene, here is a list of some of the Saints I've found spiritually comforting:

  • Saint Francis of Assisi - I always know he's protecting my precious little dachshund from harm.
  • Saint Cayetano - I prayed a 9 day novena to him after I became unemployed and it helped me land a new job very quickly.  I just celebrated my 2 year work anniversary last month!
  • Saint Catherine of Siena - Her writing style is beautiful and so full of wisdom.  I love the imagery she uses in The Dialogue.  I've thought of creating artistic renditions of her work through poetry, sketches and short stories.  She really brings out my creativity.  I think she is one of my strongest influences when it comes to maintaining this blog consistently.
  • Saint Paul - His writings may be challenging to read but once I got an idea of what he spoke about the wisdom he projects amazes and inspires.  I like the fact that he chose to never marry and advocates such a choice in his ministry.  
  • Saint Ignatius of Loyola - His Spiritual Exercises can be easily adapted to my every day life.  So inspiring!

These are just a few of the wonderful Saints who enrich my life.  If I continue to follow their Christ-like example, hopefully I will meet them alongside Jesus in the Kingdom of Heaven. 

Happy All Saints Day!

-J.



No comments:

Post a Comment