Sunday, January 10, 2016

Baptism and New Beginnings

The Baptism of Our Lord

Gospel of Luke 3:15-16, 21-22


After all the people had been baptized and Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove.
And a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son;
with you I am well pleased.”


This past week flew by so fast that I did not get a chance to write blog posts.   I still made time for daily prayer.  That resolution is still going along well....

My mind is so focused on change.  As an acquaintance texted me this week: "This new year will be one of joy."  Just what I need to hear as I have experienced so much turnover.  However, I see the light peeking through the clouds as my heart is beginning to lift from mourning and depression.  A new beginning is in progress and I am actually excited about it!

What does God have in store for me?  I feel as if a gate has been set ajar, the lock removed, so I can freely enter.  Things of my past have been taken from me, some by own hand and others through God's hand.  I cannot form words to describe this Change that has overwhelmed me since the beginning of the New Year.  My intuitive sense suggests that circumstances will finally move along in a peaceful and positive way.  I think God is pleased with my growth and maturity, and he is ready to bless me even more.  But, again that aged old question lingers:  How will all this change work out in the end?

Since I have moved to the other side of town, I have visited a few parishes trying to figure out where I feel most comfortable.  On New Year's Day I received a random email from a parish I used to attend over 10 years ago.  It invited those who have fallen away to return and "Rediscover Jesus."  In fact, the entire parish community is reading Matthew Kelly's Rediscover Jesus with videos posted by parishioners themselves telling their stories how Jesus has impacted their lives.  I was intrigued, so I attended Sunday liturgy at St. Ann Parish in Coppell, TX this morning....

I felt like I found my new parish home.  I noticed a few familiar faces in the pews even though I am sure they do not remember me, a decade later!  The bulletin is thick with various ministries and activities.  I plan to slowly enter back into volunteering because the parish is so large.  (The size is something to get used to.)  I will wait for the Lord to gently nudge me into the ministry where I am most needed..

Maybe a few people reading this blog attend St. Ann Coppell.  I would love to hear from you and gather suggestions where I can serve the most, of course within my God-given talents.  (See Contact Me form.)

Sitting in a sanctuary pew, admiring the beautifully painted stucco wall with my Spanish mantilla draped over my head, I imagined Jesus' baptism in the Jordan river.  John the Baptist gently leading Jesus into the warm Jordan waters.  John says a prayer before he sprinkles Jesus with baptismal water. Our Blessed Mother is at the river's edge smiling at her son as other relatives look on.  The bystanders may even clap as Jesus walks out of the water....

Jesus is the Son of God.  He doesn't need baptism!  However, his own baptism launched a new beginning in his life - one devoted to ministry and the service of others.  He will teach, preach, and heal.  He will forgive easily and mercifully.  He will invite others to a life of faith, trust and hope with the ultimate goal of inheriting the Kingdom of God.

Are you ready for a new beginning?

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment