Friday, November 22, 2013

A House of Prayer

Friday of the Thirty-Third Week in Ordinary Time

Gospel of Luke 19:45-48

Jesus entered the temple area and proceeded to drive out those who were selling things, saying to them, "It is written, My house shall be a house of prayer, but you have made it a den of thieves."  

(Side note:  Good thing I double checked my spelling.  I originally typed "The Gospel of Luck" instead of the Gospel of Luke!  )


Gospel passages and corresponding themes repeat throughout the liturgical calendar. This is one we heard at Mass a few weeks ago.  However, this passage describes Jesus' cleansing of the temple differently.  Jesus mentions the temple as "a house of prayer" taken over by "a den of thieves."  No money changers, doves, or sheep. Most likely Jesus continued to crack his whip out of disgust!  

My parish experienced a series of thefts over the last year.  People stole prayer books, candles and holy cards.  Vandals decorated the bathroom stalls and walls with graffiti. Even the master key to the facility was stolen prompting our pastor to change the door locks.  The parish is located in a neighborhood with a demographic not as affluent as in years past.   However, there's still no excuse for theft.  I can see why Jesus became so angry with the thieves in the temple.  We as parishioners felt violated after the thefts in our beautiful parish.  I will never understand why people steal from and vandalize a church.  At least my parish still has copper wiring.  In the rural areas like where my grandparents live copper theft in churches is a common occurrence.  Most of the time the copper is sold for drugs.

How can we be more prayerful as individuals? What can we do to ensure our places of worship are houses of prayer?

When I pray in a church, I cherish silence.  I like to hear my inner mind speak without the influence of outside noise.  I can easily get distracted by talk.  I get frustrated when I skip a rosary "Hail Mary" due to a noise disruption.  I attend the early morning Sunday Mass without music.  I prefer it this way.  I can listen to the words the priest says.  I can listen to the Lord speaking in my heart.  I lift up my prayers to Him with peacefulness.  No, I'm not adverse to singing.  I actually love to sing!  (I've been in the choir at former parishes.)  However, when it comes to praying with the liturgy quietness seems to work best for me.  

One of my favorite prayer times is when I pray the rosary before I drift off to sleep.  I usually lie in bed with eyes shut and my dog snuggled next to me.  I like to imagine myself as a character in the mystery.  I may be Elizabeth pregnant with John the Baptist.  I may be the naked guy that runs away when Jesus is arrested in the Agony of the Garden.  I may be John baptizing Jesus in the Jordan river.  Or, I may be Mary Magdalene seeing Jesus rising from the tomb.  I find creative prayer always keeps me spiritually engaged with the Lord. 

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment