Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Spirit-Filled Courage

Tuesday of the Thirty-Third Week in Ordinary Time

2 Maccabees 6:18-31



Eleazar, one of the foremost scribes, a man of advanced age and noble appearance, was forced to open his mouth to eat pork.  But preferring a glorious death to life of defilement, he spat out the meat, and went forward of his own accord to the instrument of torture, as people ought to do who have the courage to reject the food which is unlawful to taste even for love of life.

The Holy Spirit invites me to meditate on the first reading of today's mass.  The First and Second Book of Maccabees are rarely introduced into the liturgy.  They are powerful and emotional texts detailing suffering for the faith.  I encourage others to take time to read and reflect on them. Quite eye-opening....


Eleazar demonstrated tremendous courage in his refusal to eat the pork forced upon him.  When I first read this passage, I thought to myself, "Gosh, why didn't this old man just eat the meat to save his own life?  Is it that big of a deal?"  Unfortunately, eating pork was forbidden in Jewish law.  Eleazar as well as other faithful servants of the Lord rather die than be subjected to defilement.

I don't know if I could muster up the courage to become a martyr!  Could I subject myself to starvation for the sake of my faith?  Saint Maximillian Kolbe did it.  He died of starvation in a Nazi concentration camp, taking the place of another.  He was blessed with the courageousness and empathy in the middle of the horror of the Holocaust....

The thought of dying is frightening.  I'm frightened of the intense pain and discomfort I may feel.  I don't know how the Lord will take me away.  I always pray its painless and quick.  I hope I'm in a full state of grace when the moment happens.  I can't worry about dying .  I need to worry about living!  Possess the courage to live a virtuous and courageous life.  Be willing to die for Jesus Christ even if I may be scared to death.  Of course, I should always remember Christ's words:  "Do not be afraid!"

-J.







No comments:

Post a Comment