Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Prophesy

Thursday of the Thirtieth Day in Ordinary Time
Halloween

Gospel of Luke 13:31-35

Some Pharisees came to Jesus and said, "Go away, leave this area because Herod wants to kill you."  He replied, "Go and tell the fox, 'Behold, I cast out demons and I perform healings today and tomorrow, and on the third day I accomplish my purpose.  Yet I must continue on my way today, tomorrow, and the following day, for it is impossible that a prophet should die outside of Jerusalem.'

Today is Halloween.  This is my second favorite holiday to Christmas.  I love the idea of dressing up in costumes, handing out candy to kiddos, visiting a haunted house, and watching scary movies.  Movies like The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street & even the Halloween series bring back childhood memories.  My mom didn't allow me to watch horror movies at the theater. (Mostly because they were rated "R.")  I opted for the edited versions on television.  I guess because of this I found the genre so appealing.  It may seem odd as a devout Catholic to enjoy horror flicks.  Nothing better than a bag of popcorn, cheesy dialog and a good fright!

In today's gospel, the Pharisees tell Jesus to leave the area because Herod wants to kill him.  This reminds me of the classic horror movie when one character announces to the other, "Run for your life.  He's after you with an ax! He just killed the neighbor down the street!"  The other person looks all panicked stricken and can't move.  Then in a next scene the person is hacked up to pieces.....This is certainly what Our Lord is NOT going to allow to happen.  He's prophesying his upcoming death:  on the third day I accomplish my purpose......for it is impossible that a prophet should die outside of Jerusalem.  The "sly fox" isn't going to devour his prey or be successful with an attack from behind.  Our Lord has everything planned out.  He is still casting out those same demons that we see depicted in horror movies.  Christ has much work that still needs to be accomplished.  The Pharisees will understand in due course time along with the rest of the world......

Happy Halloween!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment