Monday, November 25, 2013

Offer Your Whole Livelihood, Not Just Your Wallet

Monday of the Thirty-Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Gospel of Luke 21:1-4


"I tell you truly, this poor widow put in more than all the rest; for those others have all made offerings from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood."  

I must confess I sometimes feel envious of those who are wealthy enough to donate large sums of money to the Church.  They start endowment funds for students attending Catholic schools.  The affluent host large fundraising dinners for capital campaigns and then pledge millions for the initial contribution.  Others give huge sums to local seminaries and Catholic universities.  Many times these same "wealthy" people are able to mingle with the higher ups in the Catholic Church.  Bishops, monsignors, and even more popular priests don't mind becoming close friends with these wealthy patrons.


 I live paycheck by paycheck.  I took quite a pay reduction when I accepted my new job a couple of years ago.  Money is tight.  I don't always have enough money left over to do a proper tithe.  I donate a lot of my time in volunteer ministries.  Shouldn't this count?  I know on Stewardship Sunday we hear the speeches about giving our "time, talent, and treasure" so I guess I'm doing ok.  I could give more.  I could budget for a better tithe.  I should follow the widow's way:  offer my whole livelihood.  Even a couple of dollars in the Sunday collection basket and item donations to St. Vincent de Paul is a form of giving even if it's not from a huge surplus of wealth.

I may not be blessed with the gift of philanthropy.  I may not be made of millions or influential in the Catholic Church.  However,  the wealthy are not any better than the poor.  Money can't always buy happiness, true devotion, and love.  Giving out of a poverty of spirit is something Our Lord encourages.

Let's offer up our whole livelihood not just a bulging wallet!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment