Thursday, November 21, 2013

What Makes for Peace?

Thursday of the Thirty-Third Week in Ordinary Time
The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Gospel of Luke 19:41-44


As Jesus drew near Jerusalem, he saw the city and wept over it, saying, "If this day you only knew what makes for peace-but now it is hidden from your eyes."


When I think of peace, the following words come to mind:  tranquility, calmness, silence, gentleness, relaxation, and love.  I treasure peaceful experiences when walking my dog, tending to my herb garden, praying the rosary, reading a good novel, or enjoying a nice glass of wine by the kindling fire.  I'm thankful for the peace I have between my family and friends.  

In the hustle and bustle of life, so many people don't feel at peace with themselves or others.  They are constantly on the move trying to live up to the Jones': Be successful, powerful, rich, and popular. People are under so much stress to meet the demands of modern-day materialism.  They are frantically trying to raise a family and satisfy a lucrative career- oftentimes at the expense of their own spiritual health.  

My heart has not always been peaceful.  I've harbored a lot of anger and resentment thinking my life wasn't good enough.  I often criticized myself for not being smarter, more successful, or even a holier person!  I so wanted to be like others.  But, then with age and maturity I began to realize God created me as a unique woman.  The only way to feel genuine peace in my heart is to be happy with myself and thankful for my blessings.  When I try to be like others, coveting their talents and envying their accomplishments, my heart become anxious.  God gave me special talents.  Talents he expects me to develop and use to benefit his creation.  

What brings the most peace is my Catholic faith. I don't know what I would do without the liturgy and the sacraments. Today we celebrate the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  As the Queen of Peace, we can count on Mary to look after us in times of need.  

Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

Amen.

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment