Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Coming Age

Saturday of the Thirty-Third Week in Ordinary Time

Gospel of Luke 20:27-40



Jesus said to them, "The children of this age marry and remarry; but those who are deemed worthy to attain to the coming age and to the resurrection of the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage.  They can no longer die, for they are like angels...."

The Church liturgy revisits this passage from the Gospel of Luke as we quickly approach the beautiful season of Advent.


 My parents divorced when I was only six years old. Father was an alcoholic and physically abusive.  After 8 years of marriage, mom packed up our belongings and moved us from Northern California to Texas where she could be closer to her family. Mom financially struggled  raising two children with no child support. She could have re-married if she wanted to but felt most comfortable raising her two daughters on her own.  It took tremendous sacrifice and courage.  To this day I'm so proud of the excellent job my mother did.  She didn't need to be married and remarried seven times like the widow in the gospel reading.  She raised an all-female household all by herself!

I must confess I'm a little  frighten of marriage.  I do not want to turn out  married to a user and an abuser.  I don't want my marriage to end in divorce.  This is why I've still remained single.  I've dated a few fine men and a few deadbeats.  I briefly accepted a marriage proposal but couldn't go through with it.  Even at one time I thought I may have a call to the religious life!  Certainly there are several congregations of women religious who now accept candidates in their late 30s early 40s.  After a process of discernment, I decided its best I remain in the laity.   There are so many ways I can serve the church without being a vowed religious.

I pray that Our Lord will send me just that special man.  Someone who I can share my inner thoughts and feelings with.  A man I can be fully and completely intimate with on all levels.  I think when I do find that special gentleman my fears of marriage will disappear.  I think the Devil has a lot to do with my internal fears.  Nothing wrong with marriage.  In fact, the Church is such a huge supporter of marriage.  I sometimes feel left out because I'm not part of the marriage vocation.

All in all I'm glad I've waited for the right person.  I know so many people who have married and later divorced.  They battle with bitterness and anger.  They trade off the kids back and forth from home to home.  They often remarry introducing "step" parents into the family.  A lot of pain and anguish involved in a broken- up marriage.  I thank the Lord every day I'm not part of the rising statistic.

The Coming Age - Will it involve accepting a marriage proposal in the future?  Or does the Lord wish for me to remain single?  I'm happy either way!  Right now I'm enjoying my life to its fullest as a single woman.  I look forward to the coming age and to the resurrection of the dead when my last hours on earth approach.  I certainly want Christ to accept me!  I think I have an excellent shot if I remain faithful to the Catholic Church and Christ's teachings.

-J.



No comments:

Post a Comment