Friday, February 28, 2014

Together As One

Friday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Mark 10:1-12



The Pharisees approached him and asked,
“Is it lawful for a husband to divorce his wife?”
They were testing him. He said to them in reply, “What did Moses command you?” They replied,“Moses permitted a husband to write a bill of divorce and dismiss her.” But Jesus told them, “Because of the hardness of your hearts
he wrote you this commandment. But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife,
and the two shall become one flesh. So they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, no human being must separate.”

I'm late posting Friday's meditation.  The last two days have been incredibly hectic.  But, I'm trying to stay disciplined in writing anyway......

Early this morning (March 1st) my sister delivered her baby.  After 36 hours of labor, we didn't know if my little niece would ever venture out into the world.  She seemed comfortable and content in the womb.  My sister posted a picture of the baby on Facebook. My little niece has my brother-in-law's dark hair and my sister's eyes and nose.  She is so beautiful!  I can't wait to hold her in my arms.  Unfortunately, my sister lives in Nevada so it will be a few more months before I can visit......

After seeing a pic of my niece for the first time, the idea of two shall become one flesh really hit home.  Clearly, Our Lord designed man to be bonded to woman in a faithful and life-long marriage.  Their intimate love creates another human person with an amazing combination of personality characteristics and physical features.  The act of procreation between spouses is a beautiful invention of God.  It's not something that should be trivialized and cheapened.

I always wondered why it's so easy to get a no-fault divorce.  Just like abortion on demand there's divorce on demand!  I regularly hear a radio advertisement for a law firm that specializes in divorce cases where the husband will potentially lose all his "hard earned assets" to the wife.  The ad makes me cringe as if the dissolved marriage is the wife's fault.  

What if, just what if, Moses never permitted a husband to draw up a bill of divorce. Would the idea of divorce ever become a reality?  If it did, would divorce be such a rare occurrence that only in extreme circumstances (I.e domestic violence) a couple could divorce?  I just think of not only the monetary expense but the emotional toll divorce plays in a couple's lives.  Why even go down that path?  Why not do all it takes to make the marriage work?  When the going gets rough in marriage, the easy way out is divorce. I think if laws made divorce an extremely difficult and complicated process many marriages would stay together.  Marriage is difficult but it's a life long commitment.  

Are you in a difficult marriage?  Turn to a priest or pastor for guidance.  Attend marriage counseling sessions together.  Take time off to attend a Marriage Encounter weekend.  Pray as a couple for the strength to work things out.  One thing so beautiful about the Catholic Church is her devotion to marriage and family.  There is always help available.

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment