Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Spiritual Snippet -- Breaking Unlawful Soul Ties



The president of our Lay Dominican group gave each of us a copy of the book titled "The Holy Rosary for Purity of Body, Mind and Spirit" by Kathleen Beckman.  It's one of the best little Marian prayer books I've ever come across.  The book includes prayers for purity aligned with the mysterious of the rosary.  In the back of the book are some beautiful prayers relating to purity, chastity, and healing.  There's one in particular prayer that really spoke to me.  The prayer is titled "Breaking Unhealthy Soul Ties."  WOW!  This is a prayer I've need for many many years.  Throughout my life I've become mixed up with people and things terrible for me.  Too bad I didn't know this prayer back in the day, but now that I do I'd like to share it with my readers.

Breaking Unhealthy Soul Ties 
 (Source:  "The Holy Rosary of the Body, Mind and Spirit"  pg. 54)

Lord Jesus Christ, make clear to me those relations, past or present, not in accordance with your most perfect will.  If I accidentally or deliberately entered into a  friendship that developed into an unlawful soul tie, please break that unholy bond by the power of your Precious Blood.  I take up the sword of the Spirit and lay it to cut all unlawful soul ties.  I ask you to break all the bonds between me and persons of my past, especially those with whom I have been intimate, who attached to me against your divine will.

Strengthen the bonds of human friendship where you are glorified; and cut away the bonds of friendship that do not glorify you.  I repent of any pain inflicted on persons because of an unholy soul-tie.  Thank you for cutting me free and protect me from repeating behavior that leads to  unholy, inappropriate relationships.  Holy Spirit, grant me the charism of discernment and wisdom please. 

The next time we are tempted to engage in unhealthy relationships or habits, we should pray this prayer.  With the help of God, we will be able to steer clear of relationships that are abusive or manipulative.  We will be able to rid ourselves of co-dependency and addictions.  Praying this prayer along with the daily recitation of the holy rosary will gives us the power to remain pure!  

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment