Thursday, February 27, 2014

Fires of Gehenna

Thursday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)

Gospel of Mark 9:41-50



 “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone
were put around his neck and he were thrown into the sea. If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed than with two hands to go into Gehenna, into the unquenchable fire...."

Avoid Gehenna I admit today's gospel reading is unnerving.  I certainly wouldn't want to cut off my hands, feet or pluck out my eyes in order to avoid Gehenna (the Old Testament interpretation of hell).  However, if being crippled is the only way to avoid such a horrid existence I'd endure it.  Bring on that millstone. (Yikes!)  Overall, I'd prefer not to lead others into sin if I can conscientiously help it.  I deal with enough temptations on my own (i.e. vanity, envy, sensuality).  I don't want to transfer my "sin infection" to others.  Sin can so easily spread like a virus anyway.  We may erroneously think our "sins" only affect us.  In actuality, they can affect our friends and our loved ones.  The Devil doesn't want sin to stay localized.  He wants it to spread like a wild fire burning up relationships and destroying lives.  The only way to quench this out of control fire is through Christ's water fall.  We need to be weary of our sinful nature and find ways to fight temptations.  I admit it's difficult day in and day out NOT to sin.  The little white lies, the personal stuff we do at work, or the aggravation we project on others makes us aware that sin is a constant battle.  Even our Lord was tempted in the desert by the Devil himself.  But, the big difference is he resisted such temptations.  Our Lord knew all too well that following Satan's path  would lead his people into eternal damnation instead of eternal salvation!

Keep salt in yourselves and you will have peace with one another.  The first thing I thought of after I read this verse is how cranky I get whenever I don't eat.  My blood sugar drops causing extreme irritability, an inability to concentrate, and overall feeling of sickness.  Keeping a peaceful disposition becomes almost impossible!   When I maintain balanced blood sugar levels by eating "mini" meals throughout the day I'm less prone to arguments and temper flare-ups.  Same thing goes with alcohol.  If I drink my wine in moderation, and don't over indulge, I'm at peace.  Too much drink I don't play so nice.

Spiritual diets In our spiritual diets, heavenly salt is necessary for proper metabolism and vitamin absorption.   We cannot replace salt with "seasoned blends" composed of pride, vanity and sensuality.  We should never think Vitamin W (wealth), Vitamin P (power), and  Vitamin F (fame) will enhance the salty flavor in our spiritual diets.  All of the money, the power, and the success on earth won't be of much use in heaven.  This is why as Christians we must continuously cleanse our palettes.  Throw out the bitter herbs.  Pour out the poisonous liquors.  Refresh our souls with the Salt of the Word.  

Let us not become crippled with sin but healed through the power of the Holy Spirit!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment