Friday, February 14, 2014

Open Your Heart : What Do You Hear?

Friday of the Fifth Week in Ordinary Time
Memorial of Saints Cyril, Monk, and Methodius, Bishop


Gospel of Mark 7:31-37
And people brought to him a deaf man who had a speech impediment and begged him to lay his hand on him. He took him off by himself away from the crowd. He put his finger into the man’s ears and, spitting, touched his tongue;
then he looked up to heaven and groaned, and said to him,“Ephphatha!” (that is,“Be opened!”)
And immediately the man’s ears were opened,
his speech impediment was removed and he spoke plainly. 

It's V-Day  Today is Valentine's Day. As a single woman this is not one of my favorite observances.   I'm sad that I don't have that special "someone" in my life.  No flowers, chocolates or a romantic candlelight dinner. One of my friends recently told me:  "Jennifer, you could have a boyfriend if you really wanted one, but you choose not to!"  She's right.  What I desire most is opening my heart to the Lord.  Jesus is my heavenly valentine who loves me unconditionally!  He never hurts. He never abandons. He lifts me up in sorrow and provides grace along the narrow path to holiness. I desire to form a close relationship with HIM so I can grow in inner beauty. I don't always think I deserve to be loved and cherished.  I've allowed men to "use" me for so long that I don't know anything better.   I'm more comfortable staying away than exploring love.  I pray that God will  heal my wounded heart so I will be emotionally available to a life partner someday. There's always hope!

Ephphatha!   Jesus commands, "Be Opened!" as he heals the man's speech impediment.  I think of people who are deaf to the words of Christ.  I think of people who's hearts are so harden with anger, guilt, sadness, and indifference. If Jesus lived today, would any of these people be open to a miraculous healing?  Would they open their hearts, converting to Christ?  

Being Open  Being open to God doesn't mean being so "open minded" that we stray away from morality.  It doesn't surprise me that romantic love is so heavily emphasized in society today.  We see it on television, movies, news articles, advertisements, and even music.  Romantic love and sex sells!  Fraternal love and chastity is non-profitable.  This is really sad.  Just think if the reverse was popular. The idea of "openness" would mean something way different.

Open your heart to Christ.  What do you hear?  What is he telling you to do?  He loves you so much and wants your love in return!

-J.




No comments:

Post a Comment