Friday, February 7, 2014

Chilled on a Platter

Friday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary a Time


Gospel of Mark 6:14-29


King Herod heard about Jesus, for his fame had become widespread, and people were saying,
“John the Baptist has been raised from the dead;
that is why mighty powers are at work in him.”
Others were saying, “He is Elijah”; still others, “He is a prophet like any of the prophets.”But when Herod learned of it, he said,“It is John whom I beheaded. He has been raised up.”

Another Snow Blast  Driving home from work yesterday was awful.  The side streets were covered with a light dusting of snow but under that beautiful fluff revealed layers of ice.  Every time I stopped at a red light and tried to move forward my tires spun out.   At one point I drifted through a stop sign because my anti-lock brakes wouldn't stop the car!  I was scared to death!  Fortunately an hour and a half later I arrived safely even though getting the car up the icy slope into the garage took some gutso.  I just can't drive in this stuff. I will definitely need to buy new tires after experiencing one of the worst winters in DFW in several years.  Let winter soon be gone!

Chilled on a Platter Because of yesterday's ordeal, and the remaining pockets of ice in my alley, I decided to stay home today.  However, the guilt has set in. Will my employer want my head on a platter like John the Baptist? I mean, people up North drive in conditions like this all of the time.  It's so infrequent here in the south.  I don't want to risk my life driving when it's not absolutely necessary.....I remember coworkers at my old job used to heavily criticize, even make fun of me, because I wouldn't be a "hero" and make it into the lab on a bad weather day.  Trust me, after you've done a 360 degree turn over an icy bridge you think twice about venturing out in icy conditions if not absolutely necessary.  Thank the Lord my current employer is much more considerate of my personal safety.  The work can wait until Monday.  

Poor John the Baptist!  Once again King Herod made a foolish decision trading the price of a dance for John's head on a platter . (I'm sure it was an erotic dance after a heavy evening of feasting and drinking.)  As I read his words, it's obvious King Herod feels guilty.  He thinks John the Baptist has been raised from the dead.  John's holiness and righteousness frightened King Herod. He preferred keeping him in custody since he liked to listen to John's words. Yet, the lust and flattery for a young woman lured him into executing an innocent man.  Throughout the bible, men have been easily seduced by women.... And men think women don't have much power!?  

Our Own Guilt  Our own sense of guilt can lead us into a life of remorse, despair, depression, and heartache.  We may even think the only way to relinquish the pain is by killing ourselves.  Suicide is definitely not the answer!!!  We can turn to a trusted person for help including a family member, close friend, priest, or counselor.  I write this over and over again in my meditations because I think it's so important: The Sacrament of Reconciliation/Confession is a wonderful healing tool that should be used regularly.  We may not have physically commissioned someone to be killed like King Herod did.  Instead we may have emotionally killed someone by ridiculing, criticizing, abusing, or simply ignoring them.  We need to examine our conscience and realize that our guilt doesn't have to over consume our lives.  Ask for forgiveness from God as well as others.  Surround ourselves in the warmth and healing of the sacraments.  Seek repentance and make an effort to be charitable to others in the future.  

We know John the Baptist's death was all a part of God's plan.  He has a plan for us, too.  We must live each day as if it's the last.  Reflect on the bad decisions of others and try to not make the same mistakes.

Saint John the Baptist, Pray for Us!

-J.



No comments:

Post a Comment