Friday, February 21, 2014

Take Up Your Cross

Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)

Gospel of Mark 8:34-9:1

Jesus summoned the crowd with his disciples and said to them,“Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.  For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it,  but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the Gospel will save it. What profit is there for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?


Monthly confession As part of my spiritual formation, I'm making an effort to go to monthly confession.  I find it extremely beneficial in handling everyday crosses and disappointments. (I don't always have mortal sins but confess bothersome venial sins.)  It's been an emotionally tolling February. I've been more impatient than usual. Not only am I experiencing seasonal "winter blues" and cedar allergies but people I know are dying left and right.  I attend a parish with a high proportion of elderly parishioners, so death is to be expected.  Mr. Mortality is ringing my life line with a loud wake-up call! Even though I'm still fairly "young" I never know when the Lord will decide to take me away.  I need to live each day as if it were my last. Don't live the day all anxious and worried.  Even when annoying crosses beat me down keep trekking along that narrow path to holiness, slowly climbing the mountain to heaven.  Think of creative ways to make each day more fulfilling.  

I recommend visiting the Sacrament of Reconciliation monthly.  It's a powerful way of cleansing our debilitating habitual sins.

Our crosses  Every single person on earth experiences some type of cross.  It may be physical, emotional, professional, personal or even financial.  The cross may involve the family.  The cross may be in the form of an addiction.  Nobody is exempt from struggle.  If people say they have no crosses to bear, they are not speaking the truth!  

How we handle our crosses is key.  It's important we don't blame others for things that happen wrong in our lives.  We must accept that circumstances will not always be perfect.  We may not have our dream job, spouse, or children.  We may suffer from a terrible disability or recently accepted a cancer diagnosis.  The best way to help us get through our crosses is to turn to Our Lord for comfort and guidance.  We should bravely and confidently follow Christ even when the weight of our crosses appears too heavy.  One by one crosses will be lifted as our faith in God grows.  Not all crosses are permanent.  Sometimes our struggles are only a temporary set-back designed for us to learn a lesson.  More permanent crosses like a degenerative disease are designed for us to explore ways we can be a good example to others.  Have you ever known of someone who knew they only had a few months to live but still remained positive?  Have you ever known someone who lost a job but within a few weeks found a new one?  These people displayed the right attitude.  They didn't moan and groan about their plight. They didn't give up and hate God forever!  They took the cross as a challenge which bonded them closer to Our Lord.  We can survive anything if we know Our Lord is holding our hand and guiding us.  We will encourage others in their own struggles as we positively and humbly accept our own crosses. 

I recently read an excellent book called "The Difference Maker" by John C. Maxwell.  It includes the poem "The Bend in the Road" by Helen Steiner Rice.  The last few stanzas are perfect for today's meditation:

"So relax and grow stronger.  
Let go and let God share your load,
Your work is not finished or ended,
You've just come to a bend in the road."  

Remember to take up your cross courageously, follow Christ, and become an amazing and positive witness to others!

-J.





No comments:

Post a Comment