Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Colours of Nature



Then God said, "Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them"; and it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit with seed in them, after their kind; and God saw that it was good." -  Genesis 1:11-12


This past weekend I took an early morning stroll through the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens.  It's my get-away from the stress and busyness of my life.  I can relax and enjoy the picturesque surroundings in peace.

This beauty of nature located on White Rock Lake is a serene place to visit.  Walking through the gardens and breathing in the fresh oxygen supplied by the trees shows evidence of God's handiwork.  The stunning colors remind me of an artist's color palette - brights and pastels, whites and corals, varigations and stripes, darks and lights.  The gardens are surrounded by buzzing bees and squirrels running about with plump acorns in their mouths.  Birds love perching themselves on the lush trees crying out to one another in song.  The cacophony of waterfalls and streams provides nice background music as I walk along the trails and paths.



I walked through the Arborerum's newest rose garden.  I was pleased to see a very special hybrid tea rose named Pope John Paul II. How cool is that?!  The beautiful white flowers glistened in the morning sunlight!  



When I'm feeling out of balance, stuck in a rut or frustrated with how my life is going, images of the arboretum pop into mind.  I think about the growing pains the plants go through during times of drought, cold weather, or floods.  Although masterfully taken care of by the horticulturists, plants still undergo environment stress. Some live only a one year growing season while others live for a hundred years.  If plants do survive, they remain a target for hungry insects and animals.  Plants may not be able to talk, walk or possess emotions like humans do, but the are still a holistic part of God's creation!  I'm always amazed how plants can adapt to their surroundings much like animals and humans.  I always get excited when I see a new varietal hybridized for our Texas summers.  I look to our local arboretum for guidance on my own landscape.  I always thank God Almighty for the gift of amazing flora and fauna.

I figure a few folks reading this blog aren't so goo-goo gags over plants like I am.  But, there's nothing better than a little "garden therapy" to lift up a sad heart, an overwhelmed mind, or a grumpy attitude.


Go out and enjoy the colors of nature!  Smell the roses, pinch some herbs, watch a bird eating a worm or a squirrel climbing up a tree.  Thank God for the gift of nature!

-J.



No comments:

Post a Comment