Thursday, April 2, 2015

Washing of the Feet: A Humble Act of Love and Service

Holy Thursday 2015

Gospel of John 13:1-15



He came to Simon Peter, who said to him,
“Master, are you going to wash my feet?”
Jesus answered and said to him,
“What I am doing, you do not understand now,
but you will understand later.”
Peter said to him, “You will never wash my feet.”
Jesus answered him,
“Unless I wash you, you will have no inheritance with me.”


Back in biblical times, washing of the feet was an act of love and service. People walked everywhere exposing their callused and aching feet to endless heat, dust, and rock.  Whenever a guest entered a person's home, washing the feet signified the ultimate welcome.

 The Disciples never imagined the Lord washing their own feet.   Jesus was their master and teacher, not a slave or a servant.  I see Peter's face as Jesus prepared the towel, bowl and water.  He's surprised and confused, a little standoffish. Shouldn't he be the one to wash the a Lord's feet and not the other way around??  

I remember as an RCIA candidate 17 years ago undergoing the foot washing ceremony.  It was such a beautiful experience.  I felt like a queen in front of the congregation as our pastor poured the lukewarm water on my toes and dried them with a white towel.  I thought, "What if Jesus washed my feet in person?  Would I be moved to tears like I am today?  Peter may not want his feet washed by Our Lord, but I'd welcome the act.  Jesus won't be with us much longer as he keeps hinting!  Let him do as he pleases!"

Our Lord calls us to follow his lead, performing humble and loving acts of service toward others.   The best place to start is in our own parish communities.  Volunteer in the grieving ministry.  Give communion to the sick in local hospitals.  Sign up to serve as a mass greeter.  Volunteer as a Catechist.  Make an anonymous donation toward a much needed item in the parish.  Overall, commit to do something in humble service.  However insignificant we may think it is, serving others shower buckets full of blessings!

On this a Holy Thursday, along with the ceremonial foot washing we celebrate the institution of the Holy Eucharist.  By far this is the most important component of our Catholic Faith!  

I return once again to Francis Fenelon who wrote a meditation about Holy Thursday and the Eucharist. Here is an excerpt:

"Jesus, eternal wisdom, you are hidden in this Sacramebt, and it is there that I worship you today.  How I love this day on which you gave yourself completely to the Apostles!  What am I saying?-just to the apostles?  No, you gave yourself no less to us as to them.  What a precious gift, a gift that has been renewed every day for so many centuries, a gift that will endure without interruption as long as the world exists!  What a token of goodness of the Father of mercies!  What a sacrament of love is this bread that is above all substance!"

Amen!  

-J.



No comments:

Post a Comment