Monday, April 20, 2015

Five Wounds of Christ


Recently, I read an interesting bio on Saint Dominic which talked about his deep Devotion to the Five Wounds.  He often meditated on the suffering of our Lord, focusing on the pierced wounds of the hands, feet, and side.  I thought to myself, "Wow, what a depressing and morbid devotion. Why not meditate on the happy days when Jesus performed miracles and later resurrected from the dead?   Why so much emphasis on the five wounds?"

When we meditate on Christ's five wounds, the Precious Blood he spilled for our redemption, we see the Face of God.  We understand more intimately the sacrifice Christ made for us.  Our daily obstacles are nothing in comparison.  When we moan and groan, feel sorry for ourselves, or complain about how horrible our lives are, just imagine if WE were crucified on the cross. We certainly wouldn't want to die for the salvation of others! In fact, we'd probably be shedding tears in utter pain cursing God instead.  "Why have you done this to us?" 

A few night ago, I dreamed that I attended an old Latin Mass.  We were asked to lay on top of wooden beams.  One priest said the mass at the altar while another anointed each one of us.  During the service, we had the "option" to eat and drink at our "beam."  The Mass went on and on for hours...way into the early morning hours.  I woke up just when we had exited the building and headed back toward our cars in pouring rain.....

The wooden beams reminded me of the wood used to nail Jesus to the cross.  However, the wooden beam I laid on looked more like a railroad tie.  Strangely familiar, it was the same railroad tie holding up the fence along the side of my home.  No wonder my beam looked different:  In my waking life, I had just discovered swarming termites along the railroad ties the day before!

After I receive communion, I now close my eyes and imagine Jesus nailed to the cross.  My eyes go to each one of his wounds as I meditate on his suffering.  I can see why St. Dominic was so entranced by the sacred wound devotion.  It really has an amazing effect.  I open my eyes and feel a peace in my heart.  It's like all of my trivial worries disappear.  The Eucharist I just consumed burns inside my body as if on fire with love!  I feel Jesus' presence.  So awesome!

O Jesus! True liberty of angels, paradise of delights, remember the horror and sadness which Thou didst endure when Thy enemies, like furious lions, surrounded Thee, and by thousands of insults, spits, blows, lacerations and other unheard-of cruelties, tormented Thee at will. In consideration of these torments and insulting words, I beseech Thee, O my Savior, to deliver me from all my enemies, visible and invisible, and to bring me, under Thy protection, to the perfection of eternal salvation. Amen.  - Prayer of St. Bridget of Sweden


St. Agnes of Montepulciano, Dominican Prioress, Pray for Us!!

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment