Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Empty Tomb

Easter Sunday 2015

Gospel of John 20:1-9

The Empty Tomb Resurrection Cake !

On the first day of the week, Mary of Magdala came to the tomb early in the morning, while it was still dark, and saw the stone removed from the tomb. So she ran and went to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and told them,“They have taken the Lord from the tomb, and we don't know where they put him.”





Jesus Christ is Risen Today!

Jesus Christ is risen today, Alleluia!
Our triumphant holy day, Alleluia!
Who did once, upon the cross, Alleluia!
Suffer to redeem our loss, Alleluia!
Hymns of praise then let us sing, Alleluia!
Unto Christ, our heavenly King, Alleluia!
Who endured the cross and grave, Alleluia!
Sinners to redeem and save, Alleluia!
But the pain which He endured, Alleluia!
Our salvation hath procured, Alleluia!
Now above the sky He's king, Alleluia!
Where the angels ever sing, Alleluia!
Sing we to our God above, Alleluia!
Praise eternal as His love, Alleluia!
Praise Him, all you heavenly host, Alleluia!
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, Alleluia!

At mass morning, we sang the old Protestant hymn "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" with full organ accompaniment.  It's my favorite hymn! This song brought up memories of the Baptist Church I attended as a teen; the choir and the orchestra were incredible, especially on Easter Sunday!

 Despite the morning rain and chill, we had a good turnout at the Easter sunrise service.  Everybody dressed up in lovely Easter outfits.  One family of young women wore traditional veils over their heads. How beautiful and reverent. I've always wanted to wear a veil myself but never had the courage.  Maybe someday... 

Resurrection from the past I try not to attract too much attention, especially in church.  But, for the past few months I've noticed more smiles and looks of interest from others.  Total strangers come up to me to ask questions or say hello.  On Holy Thursday, an elderly woman approached me before mass.  She says she remembered me from a college entrance exam I took over 20 years ago.  She was my proctor!  A little embarrassed,  I tried to remember who she was as she described how my hair was long with waves.  (I had an 80's spiral perm!!) Then on Good Friday after the prayer service in front of the abortion clinic, a lady saw me and exclaimed, "I know you!  You were in my Catholic Biblical School class!  Remember me?  We were at the same table.  You were in your last year and I just started."  I looked at her. Once again, I didn't recognize her right away, but then when she told me her name I remembered.  It had been nearly 5 years ago we last spoke!  

I thought, "How interesting two people remembered me from years ago and during Holy Week!" All I can figure is I must have made a positive impact on them or they would not have greeted me so warmly.

Our Lord's Resurrection   Today we celebrate Easter and the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ .  Sadly, Easter has become so commercialized that the "real reason for the resurrection" has been replaced by Easter egg hunts, the Easter Bunny, and Easter candy.  Stores profit from Easter sales and bargains.  This parallels secularized Christmas in every stretch of the imagination.  

On Good Friday I went to Target to buy some fish.  Two young ladies stood behind me in line.  They placed on the conveyor belt tons of chocolate candy, candy eggs, baskets, and other kid stuff.  As I looked at the mountain of sweets, I wondered, "Will these young ladies go to Church on Sunday or will they just make it a day of fun for the kids?"  Both ladies were covered in tattoos wearing short -shorts, thick make-up and fake eyelashes.  I think I the answer to the question was obvious.......

The Lord's Resurrection provides believers with a sense of hope.  We know nothing is impossible with God.  When we trust in him, he provides for us.  When we have faith in him, he surprises us with so many blessings.  When we love one another, and give to one another in acts of service, we mimic the way of life which is favorable to the Lord.

Christ has Risen, Alleluia, Alleluia!!

-J.








No comments:

Post a Comment