Monday, April 6, 2015

20/20 Resurrection Foresight

Easter Monday

Gospel of Matthew 28:8-15


Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went away quickly from the tomb, fearful yet overjoyed, and ran to announce the news to his disciples. And behold, Jesus met them on their way and greeted them. They approached, embraced his feet, and did him homage. Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid.
Go tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me.”

Recently on YouTube, I listened to an intriguing sermon from a United Methodist minister.  She coined a phrase worth closer reflection.  Instead of Hindsight 20/20 she spoke of 20/20 Resurrection Foresight.

Most of us look back at our lives,shaking our heads at some of the foolish things we've done.  Hindsight is always 20/20 as we say to ourselves, "If I only knew back then what I know now I would have made different choices!"

I look back at my twenties during a time when so many opportunities presented itself. If I knew about  the future growth of jobs in the healthcare industry, I'd entered graduate school and worked in cancer research, despite the costs.  (Tuition was so much cheaper back 20 years ago.). Moreover, I would have stayed at my government job knowing by this time next year (2016) I'd be close to early retirement.  (My mom warned me it was a mistake to quit that first job, but I didn't listen. Hindsight 20/20!!)  When it comes to my love life, if I had only listened to my gut instinct instead of my infatuated heart I would have stayed away from user boyfriends.  

We can't dwell on our past failures but learn from them.  Hopefully we have grown up and matured, making an honest effort not to repeat mistakes.

The soldiers guarding Jesus' tomb experienced their own form of hindsight is 20/20.  If they hadn't been asleep, and paid closer attention to the tomb, they may have seen Christ's body taken away. Well, at least this is what they thought. The chief priests didn't want the guards to get in trouble with the governor so they came up with an excuse:  Blame the disciples for stealing the corpse!  

If we look at scripture very closely, 20/20 Resurrection foresight is hinted at in John's version of Christ's empty tomb.  Specifically, it says John 20:6-7 (KJV):

"Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb, and he saw the linen clothes lying there and the handkerchief that had been around His head, not lying with the linen clothes, but folded together in a place by itself."

Why would the handkerchief placed on Christ's head be folded and placed separate from the rest of his burial clothes?  Hmmm...Unless this is a foresight into the miracle of the Resurrection. Interesting detail to meditate on....

20/20 Resurrection foresight is clearly seen throughout the Old Testament Prophets.  The parallels to Christ are utterly amazing!

In our every day lives, let us turn to the Lord in prayer and petition.  Let us meditate on holy scripture.  Let us consume the Holy Eucharist as often as possible.  Allow the Holy Spirit to penetrated our lives in order to guide us along the narrow path to holiness.

We cannot predict the future; however, we can observe what is going on around us.  Is God calling us to do something different?  Is the Holy Spirit gently nudging us to reform our ways?  Is  Christ reminding us through his Resurrection that eternal reward awaits us in heaven if we only choose to follow Him in obedience?

Hindsight doesn't have to be 20/20. Replace it with 20/20 Foresight!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment