Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Betrayer Revealed

Wednesday of Holy Week

Gospel of Matthew 26:14-25

One of the Twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said,
“What are you willing to give me
if I hand him over to you?”
They paid him thirty pieces of silver,
and from that time on he looked for an opportunity to hand him over.

Today is April Fools' Day.   Did anyone play any pranks or get fooled?  I must say I was duped at work this morning. My boss announced to the team, "I wanted to let you guys know I've just accepted a job offer with another company."  My heart literally stopped for a few seconds.  What?  Another manager leaving? Oh boy...

 "April fools!!" My boss said with a smile, "I'm only joking!  I'm not leaving!......."

Judas Iscariot didn't  joke around when he asked the chief priests the price for handing over Jesus to the authorities.  We see Judas' obsession with money throughout the gospel readings.  He held the money bag and often skimmed off the top.  He criticized Mary for using expensive oil to anoint Jesus' feet instead of giving the money to the poor.  If we examine  Judas actions more closely, we will see a man secretly hungering for wealth and power. 

Judas may have thought being a part of Christ's "posse" was of tremendous benefit.  He received free food as well as room and board wherever Jesus and the Disciples ministered.  He was given control over donations, so he could steal a little here and there for his own benefit.  Yet, as Jesus became more popular and showed his true divinity, Judas' jealousy and resentment built up to enormous proportions.  Judas realized there was no way he could ever be as powerful as Jesus Christ.  What better way to get rid of the "competition" than to have Jesus arrested?

I think the greatest of all April "fools"  is Judas.  Sadly, he realized his horrible mistake and later killed himself.....Two deaths (Jesus + Judas) for the equivalent of only 30 pieces of silver!  

Life is by far more precious than any amount of gold, silver...or bitcoins!!  Even to this day, people pay thousands of dollars to hire a hitmen to kill.  Excuses range from "an annoying neighbor's dog" to "revenge against a person who has wronged me" to "the person is just a nuisance." My stomach turns over and over again when I think of someone hiring someone else to murder a human being!  Murder is wrong.  Killing is wrong.  Leave death alone and let God handle it!!

Judas Iscariot is such an interesting character.  What drove him to so much jealousy? He had it all! I'm convinced before he let evil take over his heart that he loved Christ and believed in his message!  I believe he was a troubled soul that could have been healed by Jesus himself.  However, God the Father already planned out Jesus' death, and he chose Judas as the catalyst.  It was all in the cards.

If it wasn't for Judas' betrayal, Jesus' humiliating Passion, and the Resurrection of Our Lord, salvation history would not have turned out the same!

Is Judas Iscariot up in Heaven with the other Disciples or is he in the fires of Hell?  Interesting question to ponder as we prepare for Holy Thursday and the celebration of the Last Supper.

-J.






No comments:

Post a Comment