Monday, November 2, 2015

For The Souls of Our Faithfully Departed

All Souls Day 2015
Granary Burial Ground along the Freedom Trail
(My Trip to Boston, Massachusetts - October 2009)



For it is not the nether world that gives you thanks, nor death that praises you; Neither do those who go down into the pit await your kindness. The living, the living give you thanks, as I do today. Fathers declare to their sons, O God, your faithfulness.  

-Excerpt from the Morning Prayer Canticle, Divine Office for the Dead





This morning I woke up with another one of my weather-related headaches; however, I've channeled the pain into my blog. My mind works at its sharpest point when I consistently pray and meditate on scripture.  Funny how several feast days in the row can inspire words...

Today Roman Catholic churches throughout the world commemorate All Souls Day.  Books of the Dead are reverently displayed with masses and novenas offered.  This is a somber time of the year for many, especially those who may have recently lost a loved one.  I think about my parish friends Jan and Vincent who passed away this year.  They were beautiful children of God and so in love with their faith!  I miss them dearly but realize they are finally at peace away from pain and suffering.  With the rainy and dreary weather this past weekend, I haven't visited a local cemetery or columbarium.  This is something I normally do during the Trilogy to All Souls as I like to call it (Halloween, All Saints, All Souls).  Hopefully I can make a visit later this week.

The cooler temperatures and darker days propagate remembrance and a sense of mourning.  Friends dead for years like my old violin teacher and childhood babysitter return to mind.  I still own a few sentimental gifts like an old bookmark and a nightgown given to me when I graduated from high school.  These are priceless treasures that I will always keep.

Why do people fear death?  Is it the not knowing where our souls will land?  Is it related to the fear of getting old or the pain associated with a sickened body?  If we are close to God and Our Blessed Mother, we should not be fearful of death.  So much eternal reward lies on the other side of the heavenly rainbow!  Yes, we may need to spend some time in purgatory before we can make it up to heaven.  Hopefully none of us will be destined to the fire pits of hell.  I figure anyone reading this blog is on their way up to heaven!  For the most part, I think people are inherently good.  We just make poor decisions that cause us to disconnect from God and become disillusioned with not only life but also the afterlife.

Halloween, All Saints, and All Souls Days allow us to reflect back on those significant others in our lives who have made a profound impact.  Hopefully we can look into ourselves and see where we may be following incorrect paths.  Are those who have passed along before us good role models to follow?

 Maybe we do not behave in ways that are pleasing to God.  Maybe we believe in horoscopes, tarot cards, or psychic mediums.  Maybe we rather look up to an immoral celebrity than a chaste Saint.  Maybe the grief we experience from the death of a loved one has gone on for too long and we need to let go.  Praying for those who have passed on may shed light into our own lives.  How can we become better Catholic Christians?

I pray for the souls who have passed on.  I hope they are experiencing eternal peace.

-J.






No comments:

Post a Comment