Thursday, January 23, 2014

Master Artists

Thursday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time
Salvador Dali's "Christ and Saint John of the Cross"


Gospel of Mark  3:7-12

Jesus withdrew toward the sea with his disciples.  A large number of people followed from Galilee and from Judea.  Hearing what he was doing, a large number of people came to him also from Jerusalem, from Idumea, from beyond the Jordan, and from the neighborhood of Tyre and Sidon.  He told his disciples to have a boat ready for him because of the crowd, so that they would not crush him.

Master Artist As a Pre-Valentine's Day gift, my mother ordered me a Salvador Dali poster of Christ and Saint John of the Cross (1951).  I bought a beautiful gold frame for it, hanging it on the wall over my prayer table.  My mother saw this stunning painting while touring Ireland a few years ago and was amazed by its size and detail.  Dali is one of my favorite artists, so the poster is a treasure.  I wish I could afford a genuine Dali masterpiece!  The poetry of Saint John the Cross influenced Salvador Dali so much that he faithfully and publicly returned to Catholicism.  I find this wonderful considering the darkness and surrealism depicted in so many of his earlier works.  

A Master Artist like Salvador Dali was called back to the faith through the intercession of a Saint.  Amazing!  Incredible!  It happens every day but we may not be aware of it. Can you imagine being a brilliant artist without faith in God? (More common than you think.) Some of the most beautiful artworks of all time depict religious themes.  The Holy Spirit inspires works of art that invite the faithful to pray, meditate, and surround themselves with the beauty of God.

A large number followed   Jesus became a mega star: a master healer, preacher, and forgiver of sins!  People from all over the region came to see him and be touched by him  In fact, in order to avoid being crushed he saw refuge in a small boat the disciples prepared for him.  That boat allowed Jesus to free himself from the chaos of the crowds.  I'm sure he could finally breathe and silently pray!  I can hear Jesus saying:  "My dear Father, please give me the energy to handle these crowds.  There are so many people needing help!  I pray I can spread the message of the Kingdom of God even further.  Thank you for my wonderful disciples who greatly assist me in ministry."

Stardom Can you imagine being so popular that people surround you day in and day out?  I think of movie stars, pop musicians, and reality tv stars.  Their "stardom" pulls in a reign of fans.  Unfortunately, many of these celebrities are poor role models.  They are promiscuous, marry and divorce over and over, and get involved in alcohol and drugs.  Yet, so many people rather "worship" the famous wealthy celebrity than worship Jesus Christ!  It's really sad that Jesus who was once a Star of Bethlehem so highly sought after in biblical times is slowly fading away in our highly secularized culture. But, it doesn't have to be this way. It's our Christian duty to keep Christ's message inviting and relevant!  Our Lord provides us with so much more meaning in life than a popular celebrity.  True stardom comes from heaven above!    

As we appreciate the fine paintings from Master Artists around the world, let us never forget Our Lord who is the Master Artist of the Universe!


No comments:

Post a Comment