Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Remember & Do Not Forget Me!

Tuesday of the First Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)


First Book of Samuel 1:9-20  


Hannah arose after a meal at Shiloh, and presented herself before the Lord.....In her bitterness she prayed to the Lord, weeping copiously, and she made a vow promising:  "Oh Lord of hosts, if you look with pity on the misery of your handmaid, if you remember me and do not forget me, if you give your handmaid a male child, I will give him to the Lord for as long as he lives; neither wine nor liquor shall he drink, and no razor shall ever touch his head."


Normally my meditation primarily focuses on the gospel passage of the day.  But, today the reading from the first book of Samuel really pulls at my heartstrings!  I cannot imagine the pain poor Hannah felt, grieving her barrenness and so desperately wanting a male child.  In all of her weeping, mourning and her fervent prayer, she appeared as if drunk.  Even Eli commands her to sober up!  How would you feel weeping in your church's sanctuary and the priest comes up to you accusing you of being drunk? Embarrassment?  Shame?  Anger?..... Yet, Hannah simply remarked:  I am an unhappy woman.  I have neither wine nor liquor; I was only pouring out my troubles to the Lord.


Remember & do not forget me! Hannah asks the Lord to remember her and not forget her suffering.  She is willing to offer her child as a consecration to the Lord - a Holy sacrifice-if only her prayers would be answered.  Our Lord remembered.  He didn't forget her!  She became pregnant with Samuel who'd grow up to become last of the great prophetic Judges.....


The Lord remembers you and me, too.  He doesn't forget about us in our times of need.  Sometimes it may feel like God isn't listening to our prayers.  We wake up in the morning and go to sleep at night with the same burdens, frustrations and sufferings.  We cannot see anyway out of the agony of life!  We may feel like weeping as if our lives died right in front of us!  But there is so much hope in Jesus Christ.  There's so much love he wants to share with his precious children.  

Have you ever suffered a terrible situation to only later be freed from its grips?  Have you ever been healed from an illness that seem to linger on forever? Have you ever witnessed a loved one's life miraculously change course for the better?  Do no underestimate the authority of God!  He remembers us when we think he's neglected us.  He never forgets us when we think he's abandoned us!

-J.

-----

Remember Me, Oh Lord (An Original Poem)

Remember me, Oh Lord, when I'm feeling blue;
My life seems a mess, I don't know what to do.
I pray for guidance but you fail to reply;
My eyes full of tears, do you hear my cries?
I plea to you every day, free my suffering and pain;
This world is so restless, full of disdain.
I don't feel good enough, bold enough or strong;
So many people better, they can do no wrong.
I love you so much, Lord, I want to be like you.
Follow your ways, Lord, but I feel so marooned.
Like a woman on an island with no ship in sight.
To save me from the dryness, loneliness, and blight.
Please do not forget me, Lord, a handmaid of your creation.
I understand my sufferings are meant for purification.
Preparing me to join the kingdom of heaven at hand.
Remember and don't forget me, Lord......
You are the best thing that happened to man!




No comments:

Post a Comment