Saturday, January 4, 2014

Stars & the Epiphany

Solemnity of the Epiphany of the Lord

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Matthew 2:1-12

When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, in the days of King Herod, behold, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying, "Where is the newborn king of the Jews?  We saw his star at its rising and have come to do him homage."



A Rising Star  We observe in a night sky the radiance of billions of stars.  There's the Big Dipper, the Little Dipper, and Orion constellation.  We may see a shooting star or a star fluttering like an old incandescent bulb burning out.   If we're lucky enough, we may experience a meteor shower or a lunar eclipse.  A starry night sky has been an interest to astrologers for centuries.  The Magi were very familiar with star patterns.  Like sailors in expeditions, they used the stars as a navigation tool. The Three Wise Men immediately knew of the Child Jesus' birth by the large rising star.  What a glorious and welcoming sight!  The rising star's brightness illuminated across the heavens announcing the arrival of a Savior, a Prince of Peace, a King of all kings!

As a kid, I enjoyed gazing at the stars on late summer evenings while staying at my grandparents' house.  One Christmas my mother bought me a telescope.  She knew I had an interest in science at an early age.  Unfortunately, we always had difficulty getting the scope to work.  It was a little too advanced for a ten year old.  I'd be able to look at the moon but that was about it.  I always relied more on my unmagnified sight to watch the infinite stars.  

 What was it like to be one of the Wise Men?  I often imagined myself as a "Wise Woman" riding on the back of a camel for weeks on end.  My buttock sore from travel!  My mind always alert to the possibility of a thief stealing the gold, frankincense and myrrh.  I'd eat native desert plants while on the journey.  As an astrologer, I'd know intuitively of King Herod's lies and scheming.  I'd travel a round-about route so none of Herod's "goons" would figure out I knew of the King's murderous plans.  When the other magi and I did finally arrive to pay the Christ child homage I'd be overwhelmed with happiness!  I'd praise God for bringing the newborn King of The Jews into to the world.  I wouldn't hesitate in the least to hold the newborn in my arms while gazing at that brilliant Star!  

Gifts of Frankincense and Myrrh. The Magi were obviously wealthy.  They presented Jesus with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.  I'm sure bartering and trading these precious items allowed the Holy Family to survive financially before settling down in Nazareth.  

For the past few months, I've developed an interest in aromatherapy oils and herbs.  I recently purchased frankincense and myrrh essential oils.  I didn't realize such ancient plants are still being cultivated today.  The odor is quite earthy and woodsy.  The myrrh smells like mushrooms and dirt.  The aromas are quite relaxing and helpful in meditation.  I think of Jesus lying in the manger among the animals when I smell the myrrh.  I think of the magi when I smell the frankincense.  When the two aromas are blended together, I'm reminded of Jesus and his saving impact on the world.  I encourage others to explore herbs and aromatherapy, especially the ancient ones mentioned in the bible.  

On this Vigil of the Feast of the Epiphany, we celebrate the arrival of the Three Wise Men.  Now the nativity crèche is complete!  Let us recognize  the "epiphanies" in our lives:  Those "Ah Ha!" moments that make us joyful!  In this New Year, let us invite Jesus Christ to enter our hearts and pay homage to him!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment