Saturday, January 11, 2014

Be Small

Saturday after Epiphany

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of John 3:22-30


John answered and said, "No one can receive anything except what has been given from heaven.  You yourselves can testify that I said that I am not the Christ, but that I was sent before him.  The one who has the bride is the bridegroom; the best man, who stands and listens for him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice.  So this joy of mine has been made complete.  He must increase; I must decrease."

He must increase  In today's gospel reading, Jesus and his disciples begin to baptize in the region of Judea.  A dispute arises and the disciples go to John the Baptist for clarification.  The bridegroom, Jesus Christ, has arrived.  John's mission on earth as baptizer of souls will soon come to an end. John explains:  I am not the Christ but was sent before him.....He must increase; I must decrease.


I find the Gospel of John challenging to read and interpret.  It's one of the most difficult books of the bible to reflect on.  I sometimes read a passage over and over and think, "What does this really mean?  I just don't get!"  Philosophical and theological concepts can pull my hair out sometimes.  However, if it wasn't for John's version of the life of Christ we would lose a perspective that is so important in our Catholic faith.  So, I rustle with the Gospel of John and try to understand it as best I can...... 


Be Small!  As a Christian, I should see myself small in comparison to Our Lord. Relinquish my pride, selfishness, and desire for control into the palm of Christ's hands.  Like a fetus in a mother's womb, I need nourishment and protection. I require a comforting place where I can grow and develop into the beautiful person God created me to be.  I must set aside the idea that is so prevalent in our "Me Society" -- I can do everything on my own.  


I'm a big boy!  I'm a big girl!  I'm an adult in charge of my own life.  In fact, I'm such a big stud in the corporate world with wealth, power, prestige, and a family to count on. I don't need to kneel on my knees and pray to some "God" that I cannot see.  I'm my own God!


People who have experienced a tragedy such as the loss of a job, death in the family, or a serious illness understand what being small is all about.  They simply do not have the energy or mental willpower to handle such circumstances on their own.  They recognize the need for divine assistance. Yes, when times are good it's easier to inflate the ego and decide there's no need for Jesus in our lives.  However, when the going gets rough all of the sudden we realize a bigger force. God has presented us with burdens and crosses with an invitation to turn to Him for help.  Our Lord along with the Mary and the angels and saints are grandiose compared to our weak human selves!  We have a huge band of heavenly beings available to assist.  All we need to do is pray, worship, practice the Sacraments, and look for clues in our interactions with others as to how to remedy a difficult situation.


God's Will  As we decrease and become small, we learn to accept things as God's will.  In my own life, I've discovered I'm much less anxious and stressed if I accept circumstances as they are.  I may not always be happy and think life isn't fair.  But, recognizing God has my path already planned out for me and that things will change in His time takes a lot of weight off of my shoulders.  


When I turn to God and keep my eyes on him, I see myself becoming a holier person.... 


When I acknowledge God's will, I feel at peace.... 


When I kneel down and pray, I see how small I really am under the heavens above.....


Christ increases within my heart, mind and soul when I recognize his intense love for me!


-J.






No comments:

Post a Comment