Monday, January 13, 2014

Follow Jesus Christ

Monday of the First Week in Ordinary Time
Memorial of Saint Hilary

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Mark 1:14-20



After John had been arrested, Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the Gospel of God:  "This is the time of fulfillment.  The Kingdom of God is at hand.  Repent, and believe in the Gospel."

Ordinary Time  In this new liturgical year, today is start of the 1st week in Ordinary Time.  The Church doesn't see "ordinary" as anything dull and boring. Ordinary Time doesn't mean Catholics should sit back and think, "We are not in a season like Advent, Christmas, or Lent so I don't really have to pay much attention to the readings at Mass. Nothing special about them......"  Ordinary time can be viewed as extraordinary as well as enriching because we explore the life and service of Jesus in ministry.   In Today's reading, Jesus embarks on a wonderful mission, recruiting disciples to his ministry.  Simon, Andrew, James, and John all left their fishing nets aside and followed  Jesus.  They heard the call and literally became fishers of men. They desired to believe in the Gospel and invite others to do the same.


Does Jesus call you to serve the Church in a new way?  Are you exploring these options?  


Proclaim the Gospel of God    For the past year and a half, I have prayerfully discerned ways I can  expand my service in the Church as a lay person.  I've served as a liturgical minister (eucharistic ministry, lector) in several parishes over the last fifteen years.  I've sung in the choir.  I've taught elementary sacrament prep and taken catechetical certification courses. I've graduated from an extensive biblical studies program.  I'm very excited to announced that I have begun Lay Dominican formation in a DFW area group   (Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompeii Group, Province of St. Martin de Porres).  The complete formation process will take 2-3 years with more discernment and in depth study.  I'm definitely up for the challenge! What better way to proclaim the Gospel of God than become a member of the Order of Preachers family?  I've always gravitated toward intellectual pursuits including Dominican spirituality. The discipline which goes along with a formation process will do me much good.   Anyone reading this meditation, please keep me in your prayers as I embark on this new spiritual journey. 


Am I not more to you?  The reading from the Book of Samuel describes Hannah weeping because she was barren.  She refused to eat and grieved continuously.  It didn't help that Peninnah constantly upset her with reproach and ridicule.  We know later Hannah would be blessed by the birth of Samuel, but at this point she was still barren.  When her husband asks Hannah Am I not more to you than ten sons? I think of Jesus
selecting his disciples.  I think of Jesus ask the following questions in his recruitment process:  Am I not more to you than a net load of fish?  Am I not more to you than all the wealth you accumulate as a tax collector?  Am I not more to you than the idols you worship? Am I not more to you than the sins you commit freely and without repent? Come follow me!  

Let us follow Christ in our minds and hearts.  Let us help convert others to the faith.  Let us not think Ordinary time as a time of rest from our Christian duties.  Let the recruitment process begin!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment