Sunday, January 12, 2014

Baptism of Our Lord

Feast of the Baptism of The Lord

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Matthew 3:13-17 


Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him.  John tried to prevent him, saying, "I need to be baptized by your, and yet you are coming to me?"  Jesus said to him in reply, "All it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness."

Today the Church celebrates the baptism of Our Lord.  Why did Jesus get baptized?  We all know he was free from original sin.  God chose to be human like us.  He wanted to experience cleansing, purification, and renewal just like any other believing person immersed in water.  Jesus showed total humility in allowing John to baptize him. We are humbled, too, when we reflect on our own baptisms....

Happy Baptism Day! Not only do we celebrate the baptism of the Lord, we also celebrate our own baptism. I recently heard on a radio program suggesting we should each celebrate our Baptism Day just like our Birthdays.  It's a beautiful reminder of our Christian "rite of passage" being purged of our original sin.

I was baptized on Palm Sunday March 31, 1985 in the Methodist Church.  I remember my Cabbage Patch Kid doll sitting in the pew beside me.  I took that doll everywhere I went.  (I still have good old "Cleveland" in a storage box in a closet!)  Methodists didn't perform total immersion, so the pastor sprinkled my forehead three times with water.  I remember feeling so grown up after I was baptized.  My mother never "christened" my sister and I as babies.  She wanted us to make the baptism decision on our own.  To this day, my sister has never been baptized.  I never understood why she didn't feel the need. However, she assures me that my new niece who will be born in March will be baptized.  Looks like it will be in the Catholic Church, too, since her husband was raised Catholic.  Praise God!

An invitation   We are called to renew our baptismal promises at the Sunday liturgy this weekend.  It's also an invitation for others who may have not received the sacrament to become baptized. (Of course, sacrament preparation is required.) It's so beautiful to watch newborns christened.  Yes, the crying may be a little extreme but just realizing they are one with Christ brings so much joy!  At the Easter Vigil, I always enjoy watching new catechumens get baptized. Their own excitement radiates in their facial expressions!  It's just a glorious experience.

We have entered the waters of of baptism with Jesus. Thanks be to God!


-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment