Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Spirit of Truth

"I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.  But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth..."  -John 16:12-13

Yesterday, I was outside working on the lawn when a young Jehovah's Witness couple and their son came up to the front door.  The woman smiled and asked me if she could give me a pamphlet about "the truth of the bible."  I took the tract from her and returned the smile, "Oh I'm a Catholic and I've studied the bible for over 4 years!"  She replied, "We work with all kinds of denominations.  I'm sure you understand the truth of the bible more than others do."  I asked her if she and her family lived in the neighborhood.  She beamed talking about how a new "church" was being built right near my home.  "Great!" I said even though I could tell she thought I was a little too much.  I obviously wasn't completely ignorant of the bible.  She probably  wanted to quickly leave and evangelize to another lost soul fully aware I'd defend the Catholic church's teaching on "the One Truth."  I politely told them "Thank-you."  The woman replied, "Don't work too hard today."  The shocking part was when I said "God Bless You!" and neither the husband or wife returned the salutation.  Normally when I've come across a Jehovah's Witness he or she is somewhat pushy and easily projects "God Bless you" in conversation.  The family was much more reserved.  I could tell they were uncomfortable. 

I browsed through the tract the couple gave me.  The front of it said:  "Would You Like to Know the Truth?..[List of questions such as What happens to us when we die?  Is there any hope for the dead?  How can I pray and be heard by God].....There is, however, one book that contains reliable answers.  It is a book of truth." 

I'd love to have discussed the Catholic's belief in the Trinity and the Holy Spirit with this fine family. However, Jehovah's Witnesses only believe in the "One God" and not in the "Father, Son and the Holy Spirit." I thought it was interesting on the Vigil Feast Day of Pentecost I was visited by a Christian Faith who doesn't believe in the Holy Spirit or its profound work in our lives.  I'm not very familiar with the JWs but from what I guessed they believe in a strict interpretation of the bible....and their own version that is different from standard Christian bibles. 

All week I have been contemplating exactly what "the Truth" is.  We know the truth of the Holy Spirit and the truth of Jesus Christ.  It's not until I spoke with this Jehovah's Witness family that I realized the moral relativism behind this so called TRUTH.  Each Protestant denomination, non-Christian, atheist, and even polarized Catholics seem to define "the Truth" differently depending on their own established belief system, culture, and media influence.  I get confused on what "the Truth" is really all about.

I see the "One Truth" so easily represented by the Holy Spirit.  Through the gift of the Holy Spirit we are called to spread the good news of the gospel and Christ:  A message of TRUTH that is loving, forgiving, glorifying, and faithful. As St. Paul reminds us in the Letter to the Galatians:

 ....the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self control.  Against such things is no law.  Now those who belong to Christ jesus have crucified their flesh with its passions and desires.  If we live in the Spirit, let us also follow the Spirit.

Come Holy Spirit!  Help us Spread the Truth of Jesus Christ.  Amen!

-J.

1 comment:

  1. Yours is a beautiful blog!

    Most Jehovah's Witnesses are decent folk who are trapped in an oppressive cult like organization the Watchtower society.
    The Watchtower core dogma is Jesus 'invisible' return or second coming October 1914,this is a false doctrine.
    Matthew 7:15-16 "Be on the watch for the false prophets,who come to you in sheep's clothing....."
    God bless-Danny Haszard FMI- dannyhaszard(dot)com

    ReplyDelete