Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Dawn

The Nativity of Our Lord (Christmas)
Mass at Dawn


Gospel of Luke 2:15-20

When the Angels went away from them to heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go, then, to Bethlehem to see this thing that has taken place, which The Lord has made known to us."  So they went in haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the infant lying in a manger.


As an early morning riser, I really enjoy attending the earliest Mass of the day.  Christmas at dawn is special.  It's quiet and peaceful.  It invites me to reflection and prayer.  I listen more closely and more attentively at the stirring of the Holy Spirit in my heart....

What if I was a shepherd? This morning I reflect on the shepherds who were the very first to see the baby Jesus.  What would it have been like if I was a shepherd at the time of Christ's birth?  How would I react seeing the tiny baby wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger?  As one of the poorest of the poor, and certainly not smelling very good from hauling sheep around into the wee hours of the night, I may be a little timid to show myself.  I mean, if this is the Messiah born I certainly wanted to look clean.  But then again, I may be in such awe over the little bundle of joy that I wouldn't even think about myself. My eyes and my heart would be focused on the beautiful baby boy born from the womb of Mary.  I may even present Mary and Joseph with a little baby lamb as a token of my love and congratulations.  What a miracle!

I wish to share an excerpt from Pope Francis' prepared Christmas Midnight Mass homily which I think is so beautiful:

The grace which was revealed in our world is Jesus, born of the Virgin Mary, true man and true God. He has entered our history; he has shared our journey. He came to free us from darkness and to grant us light. In him was revealed the grace, the mercy, and the tender love of the Father: Jesus is Love incarnate. He is not simply a teacher of wisdom, he is not an ideal for which we strive while knowing that we are hopelessly distant from it. He is the meaning of life and history, who has pitched his tent in our midst.

The shepherds were the first to see this "tent", to receive the news of Jesus' birth. They were the first because they were among the last, the outcast. And they were the first because they were awake, keeping watch in the night, guarding their flocks. Together with them, let us pause before the Child, let us pause in silence. Together with them, let us thank the Lord for having given Jesus to us, and with them let us raise from the depths of our hearts the praises of his fidelity: We bless you, Lord God most high, who lowered yourself for our sake. You are immense, and you made yourself small; you are rich and you made yourself poor; you are all-powerful and you made yourself vulnerable.

Amen!  May the light of Christ penetrate and radiate your heart on this Christmas Dawn!  


O Emmanuel, 
may the assurance of your unfailing Presence 
be for me the source of unending peace. 
May I never fear my weakness, my inadequacy, or my imperfection. 
Rather, as I gaze with faith, hope, and love upon your incarnate littleness, 
may I love my own littleness, for God is with us. 
Endow my life with a holy wonder 
that leads me ever more deeply into the Mystery of Redemption 
and the meaning of my vocation and destiny.
(-Adapted from Blessing Prayers: Devotions for Growing in Faith by Fr. Peter John Cameron, O.P.)

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment