Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Jesus On The Mountain - A Widow's Story

Wednesday of the 1st Week of Advent
Feast Of Saint John Damascene

Matthew 15:29-37

At that time:  Jesus walked by the Sea of Galilee, went up the mountain, and sat down there.  Great crowds came to him, having with them the lame, the blind, the deformed, the mute, and many others.  They placed him at his feet, and he cured them.

What was it like to be present with Jesus on the mountain the day he cured the sick and fed the crowd with only seven loaves and fish?  I imagine a young Jewish widow with a mute girl and a sick newborn giving an eye-witness account......

--------

Give Praise to Yahweh!  Bless us in times of need!   The Prayer of David from the glorious Psalms gives me courage: 

May the Lord hear your prayer in the day of tribulation may the name of the God of Jacob protect you. May he send you help from his holy place; from Zion, may he extend his protection.

I'm a recent widow with a sickly newborn and a mute daughter.  I'm mourning the loss of my dear husband who died four months ago.  I'm allowed to glean the fields which helps feed my small family.  The high priest in the temple told me Jesus is performing miracles at the mountain today.  The journey is a long and strenuous one, but  I'm willing to sacrifice to cure my children!

I remember as a little girl hearing the stories from Isaiah prophesying:  The Lord of Hosts will provide for all the peoples......The Lord God will wipe away the tears from all faces. I know now Jesus has to be "the One" Isaiah wrote about!  I've cried a lot lately.  My life is filled with sadness and burdens.  I hope Jesus can help me and my two beautiful girls.  My children are my whole life!  I pray to God every breathing minute that they will be free from illness and deafness.

I just made it up the very steep and high mountain.  I see the crowds are large.  I don't know if we'll be able to reach Jesus.  I met one of the kind wheat growers who allows me to glean from his crop.  He says he can give me a front row view at the foot of Jesus!  Everyone is amazed and excited.  Lame are now able to walk.  Demons have been driven away.  The blind can see.  Deformed children are made straight.  I just know in my heart my children will be healed, too!

My newborn Sarah is coughing and wheezing.  So many people bundled together breathing this chilly dense mountain air isn't helping her frail lungs.  My daughter Mary is standing very close by my side.  She's so frighten by the deformed walking about.  I'm trying to comfort my daughters as best as I can as we walk slowly to the front of the crowd.....

There he is!  Jesus Christ in the flesh!  Wow, he's so tall and lean with a heavenly smile.  His disciples are around him preparing some sort of meal.  It looks like loaves and fish, but how can there be enough for these crowds?  I see Jesus touching one of the baskets with his long, miraculous hands.

As we reach the feet of Jesus, he turns away from preparation and looks right into my eyes with such love. Indescribable love!! He asks me in a gentle voice what I'm in need of.  I say to him, "Oh, my Lord, my daughter is deaf and mute.  My newborn has trouble breathing and coughs in horrible fits."  In an instant, Jesus lays his hands on my precious children saying something strange in Arabic......

 Oh, I can't believe it! My children are healed!! Tears of joy are streaming down my face!  No coughing from Sarah.  Mary just spoke her first words, "Mommy, what is that rustling noise?  What are the friends of Jesus carrying in those large baskets?"

As I thanked Jesus for curing my daughters, I began to hear the rumbling sound my dear Mary spoke of.  The disciples are rolling about fish and loaves  in large wicker baskets, giving out food to the crowds.  They must realize how hungry we are after the long journey...oh, and it looks like wine is here, too.  What a great way to celebrate!  Isaiah predicted the The Lord would provide for his people.  Jesus is doing that for us today!

After the delicious meal, we decided it was time to return home.  The kind wheat grower says we can stay in his home tonight since he's not as far away.  I thanked him for all of his help.

I certainly feel so blessed.  I will be following Jesus as he travels and teaches.  He's truly amazing like everyone says. Thanks be to God the Messiah has arrived!

Shalom,

-A Widow at the Mountain with Jesus

----------

-J.







No comments:

Post a Comment