Friday, December 13, 2013

Stop Judging & Start Loving

Friday of the Second Week of Advent

Memorial of Saint Lucy, Martyr

Gospel of Matthew 11:16-19

Jesus said to the crowds: "To what shall I compare this generation?  It is like children who sit in the marketplaces and call to one another, 'We played the flute for you, but you did not dance, we sang a dirge but you did not mourn' 
The Son of Man came eating and drinking and they said, 'Look, he is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.' But wisdom is vindicated by her works."

Praise or Condemn Jesus' ministry was tough and not always warm and fuzzy.  Crowds constantly followed him everywhere he went. People either kneeled at Christ's feet in praise or condemned him from afar.  Believers desired to learn and be cleansed.  Enemies desired to gather intelligence so they could bring the Son of Man to his knees in humiliation and defeat.  Those against Jesus had no qualms passing judgment.

I imagine Jesus' followers playing flutes and dancing in celebration of miracles performed.  On the darker side, I picture enemies singing a dirge not mourning Christ's death but rejoicing his demise. 

 Passing judgments and opinions is something we all struggle with.  Just think about the ridicule Jesus experienced.  If you lived during Jesus' lifetime, would you be quick to judge his actions as something positive or negative?  

Stereotypical Labels   At Target one day, I stood in line behind a woman with two small children.  She was purchasing groceries with her food stamps card.  I looked at the stuff in her shopping cart:  a gallon of milk, frozen pizza, and candy.  I noticed that she was fairly overweight, and the kids were pudgy, too.  I'm embarrassed to say my immediate reaction was quite negative:  "Oh, this woman is just using the welfare system.  Why doesn't she work like the rest of us? She must be lazy and stupid.  Look at all of the junk food in her cart?  No wonder she's overweight."  I continued to stand in line while this woman and the cashier determined what was "eligible" and not eligible for food stamps.  Impatience brewed as negative thoughts increased.  Finally, the transaction was completed.  This woman turned to me and said with a smile, "I'm so sorry for the hold up!  Have a nice day!"  Here I condemned her in my mind when she was really a nice person.  I immediately stereotyped her based on her appearance, and the fact she paid groceries with food stamps.  Guilt set in.  Here I  judged her when I should have loved her as a fellow sister in Christ.

How easy for us to put someone down.  He or she is a freak, a weirdo, a nuisance, a nobody.  We find ways to think ill of people who are different from us.  We throw out false opinions without getting to know a person.  And if we decide we don't like a person, then the things they do are never good enough!  

Wisdom is vindicated by Works    This is one of my favorite quotes from scripture.  Christ calls us to be wise stewards.  Learn from our mistakes and help others.  Our actions speak louder than any nasty words thrown at us!  In my own life I've been criticized for opinions, especially religious ones.  Some people can't understand why I'm so "in love" with Jesus.  Being religious is simply not in vogue!  I told a friend recently that I've decided to remain chaste.  His reaction was "Oh that sucks!"  Instead of praising my decision he thought of it as a bad thing.  I mean, isn't everyone sexually activate?  What is wrong with you?  Not a thing is wrong with me!  I've decided to follow Christ and the Church's teachings as devoutly as possible.  People may criticize but I know I will be vindicated one day by living a simple, chaste, and loving life.  It won't be easy, that's for sure!  With grace, God will grant me the wisdom to make a difference.

As Father John Tauler, O.P. wrote:  God is all act, and the soul is all receptivity.  The soul should be to God, who is our origin and our end, what the stream is to its fountain head....Do as a painter does who would copy a masterpiece; at every touch of his brush his eye is carefully fixed on the model before him, which he reproduces exactly as he possibly can.

Let's stop judging and start loving one another!

-J.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment