Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Sing, Zechariah, Sing!

Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Advent

(Click Here for Readings)

Gospel of Luke 1:67-79


Zechariah his father, filled with the Holy Spirit, prophesied saying, "Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel; for he has come to his people and set them free."

I was totally jazzed and a bit surprised when I opened a gift from a friend overseas.  He bought me a portable turntable. "Awesome!" I thought, "Now I can play my old vinyls from the 1980's and reminisce!"  I spun a record from the rock band Foreigner singing along (quite loudly) to the ballad I Want to Know What Love Is.  You may recognize the words from the refrain:

I wanna know what love is
I want you to show me
I wanna feel what love is
I know you can show me

Zechariah new exactly what love is! God showed love by blessing Elizabeth and Zechariah with the baby boy John!  Filled by the Holy Spirit, Zechariah proudly proclaimed his Benedictus.  This beautiful canticle is still sung (or recited) during the Morning Prayer of the Divine Office (Liturgy of the Hours).  Zechariah praised the blessings bestowed on him. (I'm sure he was joyful and relieved to get his speech back, too.)  What better way to use the vocal cords than sing a lovely song not only celebrating the birth of John the Baptist but prophesying the birth of someone even mightier:  God in human form.  A Man, the Christ, who will be born from a virgin.  A Man, the Christ, who will perform amazing miracles and convert thousands of followers.  A Man, the Christ, who will eventually die for our salvation.  A Man, the Christ who will save us all from the hands of our enemies.  

Can you imagine a father bursting into song after the birth of his new born son?  Maybe a rock ballad, a Gregorian chant, a Christmas song??!  (I'd like to see a You Tube video of this!) Usually pats on the back and the distribution of pink and blue cigars show off a proud new papa.  How beautiful if a first-time father wrote something special for his new son or daughter if only a few simple words.  Nothing as extensive as Zechariah's song but something intimate and personal.  What about a favorite bible passage or words to a hymn?  

Christmas has arrived!  Let us sing those Christmas carols loudly with enthusiasm!  Let us smile and rejoice at the birth of our Savior.  Just like Zechariah's sings with praise and thanksgiving we can do. Doesn't matter if you can sing "in tune" or not, let us sing a song to the Lord!


Merry Christmas!!!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment