Friday, December 6, 2013

Feast of Saint Nick - Give With Humility

Friday of the First Week of Advent
Feast Day of Saint Nicholas 

Gospel of Matthew 9:27-31

Isaiah 29:17-24

As Jesus passed by, two blind men followed him crying out, "Son of David, have pity on us!"


Frozen at Home Today on this icy and frigid Friday morning I'm sitting by my iPad thinking of what to write for today's meditation.  I'm stuck here at home with streets too dangerous to drive on.  Tree limbs are weighed down with ice.  Already two Bradford pear trees have split and crashed in front of my neighbor's houses.  My dog is sitting next to me woofing and shivering.  She hates the cold weather.   Thank The Lord I still have power and plenty of eats & treats.

Giving With Humility  Tradition has it that Saint Nicholas inherited quite a bit of wealth after his parents died.  He decided to give away as much of it to the poor, especially needy children.  He donated his great fortune with humility.  Just as Jesus gave sight to two blind men of great faith,  Saint Nick gave happiness to poor children out of love.

I think we still have modern-day Saint Nicks.... Recently, I read in the news about anonymous people giving thousands of dollars in tips to restaurant servers.  The receipts are uploaded on Instagram in the name of @tipsforjesus.  What an awesome way to give back!  I love hearing stories of people giving anonymously.  They don't give money to receive a tax credit or to flaunt their wealth.  They give out of compassion and a call to help those less fortunate.  

Have pity on us!  This is a common phrase proclaimed when people approach Jesus for healing.  We certainly don't want to throw pity-me parties by only thinking of ourselves, ruminating on the bad in our lives and ignoring the plights of others.  True heart-felt pity is concerned about helping those in circumstances we may never be in.  Circumstances so inhumane, so cruel, and so miserable Jesus would tend to with no reservations.  As I sit here in my comfortable home, I think of the people living under overpasses bundled up in these freezing temps.  Fortunately shelters are moved with pity and provide the homeless with a warm meal and a bed to sleep in.

This holiday season we should make an extra effort to help the needy and the poor as good Christian stewards!

-J.






No comments:

Post a Comment