Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Montserrat Retreat (Day Three) - Praying Under the Oak Tree



"My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.  I do not see the road ahead of me.  I cannot know for certain where it will end."  - Thomas Merton


Journal Entry:  (Underneath an oak tree) Saturday, September 20, 2014 9:30 am CST

I skipped the morning Prayer Conference to pray my rosary in front of a huge oak tree near the Stations of the Cross at the front entrance to Montserrat.  A weathered statue of Our Lady holding the infant child sets at the bottom of the tree.  Monarch butterflies flutter around the statue and the tree's base.  How old is this tree, I wonder?  It's gigantic limbs droop slightly.  The locusts and birds are really chatty this morning.  A seagull in particular must be crying out to his mate.  Even crickets, louder at night, chirp away.  I love the sounds and beauty of nature!

No one can deny God's handiwork surrounding me!  The sounds of airplanes and cars passing by make me realize I'm still in the city.  I can't totally escape life, but I can do my best to appreciate nature's subtleties.  Being around the trees, the wind, and the lake is a peaceful oasis nestled quaintly around a bustling metropolis.  Thank the Lord for this private time with him.  I really need it - a time to reflect; a time to appreciate; a time to re-evaluate what is going good and not-so-good in my life.

This old oak tree has experienced many seasons, much pruning and growth.  In times of drought, its survived.  In times of wilt, it has healed itself.  In times of fruitfulness, the squirrels carefully stored up the tree's acorns.  Many people visiting Montserrat in years past have sat under this very tree admiring its beauty and magnificence.

Our own lives change with the seasons like an oak tree.  We weather disease and heal to produce fruit.  We grow in wisdom as we age with roots firmly entrenched in the soil.  Our faith in Christ and our resolve to follow his will helps us mature.

Archbishop Fulton Sheen wrote, "Age is more merciful than youth.  It was the young men who counseled David to be cruel; the old counseled him to be merciful.  Those who have the faith, and live virtuously, dwell in radiant expectation of the glory this is to come."



An Original Poem:  Where do I see you, Lord?

Where do I see you, Lord?
In the sunrise and the sunset;
In the turmoils I experience each day;
In the faces I've not yet met.

You're there present with me,
An unseen reality;
Many people fail to believe;
You died on Calvary.
They think you are fiction;
A person who never existed;
A figment of the imagination;
Not worthy of veneration.

I know the Truth, Lord.
You died for my salvation.
I put my trust in you, Lord.
You're there for my protection.

Where do I see you, Lord?
You're there standing next to me;
Ready to pour forth graces;
And prepare me for eternity.

I look forward to you acceptance;
Into the pearly gates of heaven.

Amen.












No comments:

Post a Comment