Sunday, September 14, 2014

Conquered on a Tree

Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross

(Click Here for Readings)

Gospel of John 3:13-17


Jesus said to Nicodemus: “No one has gone up to heaven except the one who has come down from heaven, the Son of Man. And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.”

The Blind Woman & Nicodemus  This morning I was blessed to attend mass at two different parishes.  I like to do this on feast days, especially ones like the Exaltation of the Cross, that I find difficult to understand.  It's a great way for me to hear two different homilies, comparing and contrasting the priests' interpretation of the Gospel reading.  I always learn something new and enlightening.

During the mass at a sister parish, I was pleasantly surprised when a blind woman approached the podium to sing the responsorial psalm.  Her seeing-eye dog laid peacefully by her side as she smiled, singing with passion and expression.  I thought to myself, "Wow, this woman can't see the sheet music or the people in the pews.  She's can't even see an image of Christ crucified on the cross that we venerate today.  Yet, even with lack of eyesight, she's blessed with such an angelic voice! So beautiful!"

Then I thought about Nicodemus speaking to Jesus and asking him questions.  He spoke to Our Lord in complete darkness, in the dead of the night.  He feared his fellow Sanhedrin finding out that he was in "talks" with Christ.  Nicodemus would see the light in his own faith conversion.

Conquered on a Tree  The image of the crucifix reminds us of the pain and suffering Christ went through when he died on the cross. Crucifixion was a form of capital punishment at the time.  So why on earth does the Church celebrate such a bloody image?  Jesus' death gave us a chance at eternal life.  Jesus' death washed away our sins.  Jesus willingly sacrificed his own flesh and blood out of great love for us.  The rich words from today's Eucharistic preface explains further:

"For you placed the salvation of the human race on the wood of the Cross, so that, where death arose, life might again spring forth and the evil one, who conquered on the tree, might likewise on a tree be conquered, through Christ Our Lord."

Dig Deep and Lift High   When reflecting on the image of the crucifix,  I imagine a large live oak tree in front of me.  I want to climb it's beautiful branches in order to see the Lord in heaven above!  I lift my arms high but can't even reach one of the beautiful branches.  I carefully climb up the bark of the tree but slip and fall.  I see that the tree's roots are visible on the surface of the soil.  They are not very deep, so I can easily trip on them!  Then I spot one lonely branch drooping toward the ground.  I grab a hold of it but then it snaps in half.  I'm back to square one.  How on earth will I get to the top of the tree of heaven?  I must dig deep, deep deep! Let go of my pride.  I must let go of my anger.  I must learn to love others.  I must learn to follow God's will more than my own will.  As God sees that I'm working on myself, carrying my crosses with humility and patience,  suddenly the tree is easier to climb.

"Lift High the Cross" is one of my favorite hymns.  It reminds me that the crucifixion isn't just a bloody horrible death but also a new spring on life.  We are called to carry our own crosses with humility and grace.  It's a difficult task but way worth it.

-J.


No comments:

Post a Comment