Monday, September 15, 2014

The Eyes of Our Lady of Sorrows

Memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Luke 2:33-35

"Jesus’ father and mother were amazed at what was said about him; and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is destined for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be contradicted and you yourself a sword will pierce so that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.”

After Sunday Mass, I greeted our priest with a hello and handshake.  The usual crowd of families surrounded him.  He asked me if everything was going okay. I nodded my head.  "Yes, I'm doing okay.  I'm going on a Montserrat retreat next weekend."  He replied,  "That's wonderful!  You can't go wrong with Montserrat.....I will pray for you."  As he spoke to me, I  noticed the circles and bags around his eyes.  Even through the smiles, the jokes, and his normal priestly charisma, his eyes revealed overwork and fatigue. I guess I looked at the eyes a little too intensely because Father questioned me:  "Why are you looking at me....like that?"   I stood there speechless. I didn't want to tell him what I was thinking, especially around other people......

 I'm totally in awe of you as a vicar of Christ.  I love you very much.  You look so tired and exhausted.  Please take better care of yourself.  You are always in my prayers.

 The eyes are the windows into the soul.  They reveal so much about our hidden selves.  The eyes shed tears of joy as well as tears of sorrow.  They become dry with shame and bloodshot from sleeplessness.  Looking directly into someone else's eyes can be quite piercing and unsettling.  It's more comfortable for us to stare into a computer or smartphone screen than straight into another person's eyes.

The Blessed Virgin Mary, Our Lady of Sorrows, witnessed through her own eyes the grueling passion and crucifixion of her only son.  As a mother, she wept and cried copious amounts of tears.  She grieved when her son died.  Like any woman who has lost a child, it is gut wrenching experience.  She didn't know what to do or who to turn to until Jesus revealed The Beloved Disciple would be her care taker.  Jesus would not allow his mother to live the rest of her life in grief and pain.  She would be well taken care of.

 How did Mary get through all of this heartache?  How did she keep her pierced heart from bleeding out?  She was given eternal graces from heaven and the special role of intermediary.  This required her to be courageous and strong.  Our Blessed Virgin Mary is a role model for all of us who hurt, experiencing trials and tribulations.  If she could handle it, so can we with her grace and the grace of her son, Jesus Christ.

"Through you we drink from the wellsprings of salvation, O Blessed Virgin Mary"  (Divine Office Morning Prayer Responsory)

-J.




No comments:

Post a Comment