Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Burden of the Poor

Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)




Gospel of Matthew 11:25-30


“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”


My apologies for the delay in posting.  It's been a hectic few days!  -J.


Expectations  We just celebrated America's 238th birthday.  As citizens of one of the wealthiest nations on earth, we pride ourselves on the freedom guaranteed in our Constitution.  Our Forefathers expected us to use these freedoms prudently and responsibly.  Freedom is a tremendous gift.  Freedom is something  many countries will never experience.  Yet, even though we live in a free society, I can't help but think about the plight of the poor.  Financial burdens are all-too familiar.  Even though we see signs of the Great Recession ending with Wall Street at records highs and unemployment below 7%, people still live in poverty.  

With freedom comes certain "expectation" that we can make our own success, maybe without God in the picture.  We must compete to get ahead.  We must be selfish and only consider our own future.  God is no longer in the equation.  We're free!  We can do whatever we want, whenever we want.  No God, no Jesus Christ can help us in the midst.  Just as Frank Underwood in the Netflix series, House of Cards, says in a scene a Catholic Church:  "I pray to me and for me!"  Then he blows out all of the candles lit by others...


 Cans for Redemption  I'm a huge documentary buff, especially those produced by HBO.  A few months ago I watched the documentary titled Redemption which chronicles the stories of NYC homeless who collect aluminum cans for recycling cash.  Day in and day out they push along grocery carts full of cans.  The job is dirty, grueling, and tiring.  Many of those collecting cans are immigrants who don't speak English.  Others are people with families who were laid off from their minimum wage jobs.  Still others are alcoholic or mentally ill.  The little money they do earn helps pay the electric bill or put dinner on the table.

These people are doing a service for the city of New York.  Why not be paid a livable wage on top of the 5 cent redemption value?  These people carry a heavy yoke upon their shoulders every single day as they haul around trash! But, I know God is right there beside them.  He knows these people are burdened not only financially but physically and mentally. In the documentary, religion is not discussed but I always think Jesus has a special affinity for the recycling poor.  He will always provide for them even if only through aluminum cans.

What about my own burdens?  When I think about my own burdens, I'm really ashamed!  My personal "burdens" are nothing like what the homeless in NYC experience, the religiously oppressed Christians in the middle east, or even families who receive a foreclosure notice.  I should stop complaining about my own woes and start praying for other people!  Be thankful that my burdens are really light.  So many people have it much worse!  I always hope and pray that they believe in God and don't give up the fight.  Their burdens will not always be as severe. 

Be meek and humble of heart.  Take another person's yoke and walk right along side them when needed.  Get out of yourself and your own selfishness.  Remember you have it better than so many other people.  Be just like Christ and  help ease others' burdens.

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment