Thursday, July 31, 2014

Re-sculpture Yourself

Memorial of Saint Ignatius of Loyola, Priest

(Click Here for Readings)


Jeremiah 18:1-6

This word came to Jeremiah from the LORD:
Rise up, be off to the potter’s house; there I will give you my message. I went down to the potter’s house and there he was, working at the wheel. Whenever the object of clay which he was making turned out badly in his hand,  he tried again, making of the clay another object of whatever sort he pleased.


Happy Feast Day to Saint Ignatius!    I've always been a fan of St. Ignatius and his Spiritual Exercises.  I try to make an Ignatian silent retreat every one or two years.  My next one will be scheduled for late September.

When I discovered the Find Your Inner Iggy website, I just had to create a St. Ignatius image in honor of his important feast day. (See my creation in today's blog image!) One of the aspects of Ignatian Spirituality I like the most is using imagination in prayer and meditation.  Creativity allows me to connect with The Lord in a more intimate and personal way. I enjoy placing myself in a bible scene, imagining what it felt like to be a woman back in antiquity.  Women have it so much easier in modern day times!

The potter's wheel   Oftentimes, I feel like I'm slaving away at the potter's wheel, working hard to sculpt my life in ways where I can grow and develop into a better Christian.  Sometimes my pottery creations come out fantastic.  They are perfectly molded, smooth and circular.  Perhaps I received kudos for a job well done, or someone thanked me for helping them out. I was able to think positively about a situation instead of my default pessimistic viewpoint.  Maybe I even came closer to accomplishing a personal goal I've attempted for a while.  In good times, I find being a Christian isn't so difficult.  When I'm happy and feel good about myself, I'm naturally drawn  to help other people, pray more, and be more involved in the faith.

Then the dark moments of my life creep forward.  As I work at the potter's wheel, my new piece of pottery is full of cracks and flaws.  It's lump sided and uneven. It's not a work of art that I can share with others.  Instead it's something to throw out in the dumpster!  Perhaps I've let my temper flare up.  I feel sorry for myself and resentful of others.  I don't give a flip about praying for others or even being around others.  The pottery wheel spins in circles around and around.  I have to make a vigilant effort to stop the revolutions and not allow evil to taint my heart and mind.  (I think Satan loves to attack us in are darkest moments of despair).  My seemingly worn out potter's wheel stops functioning, locking up and giving me fits.  That's when it's time to start over and begin anew.  With God's grace, fix my broken wheel and begin recreating inspiring pottery.  Refuse to allow life's burdens and weaknesses to get me down.  God is right beside me at the potter's wheel! Satan can just go away and pout for a while....

Re-sculpture yourself. One thing great about Christianity is the way God forgives us over and over again.  When we fail, he encourages us to get up and start over.  God knows we are  imperfect creatures. All of us are like clay pots with blemishes, unevenness, and even a few cracks here and there.  However, we can better handle our imperfections and weaknesses by forming a close, intimate relationship with the Lord. We should regularly receive the sacraments, especially the Eucharist and Confession.  They are so healing and helpful in refocusing our lives.

I think it's important for us as Christians to continually re-sculpt ourselves by examining our consciences and thinking of ways to improve our lives.  Maybe we should attend Mass more often or pray more regularly.  Maybe we should forgive those who have offended us, or forgive ourselves.  Sometimes we are our own worse enemy!  In the re-sculpturing process, we begin to see outside our own selfish desires and notice the needs of others.  Perhaps we are called to volunteer with refugees or at a homeless shelter.  We should mimic our lives as closely to Jesus as possible.  This is one difficult task because we live in a disposable culture where "Me" takes precedence over "We." However, through the work of the Holy Spirit, it can be done!

We can all change our lives for the better!  Let us sculpture the clay of our lives into ways that are pleasing to the Lord.


St. Ignatius, Pray for Us!

-J.





No comments:

Post a Comment